Horse comparison story (Part 3)

Judy Long for Nick Warhol julong@cisco.com   nick.warhol@kla-tencor.com
Continued from Part 2...

Top Speed?  Judy and I had a short drag race once up a slight hill where we
ended up going FAST!  She thought the Appy was catching Shatta, I didn't
think so, but man, at that speed who cares?  A flat out run with two really
fit horses- it was really something to experience.  Warpaint beat a good
Arab in a real 1/8th mile drag race at the end of day four at Death Valley-
the finish crew was impressed.   This one's a tie.

Running downhill?  I get off and walk/run down hills with the horses during
rides.   It took a while, but Shatta jogs along beside me very nicely.
Warpaint pulls on the reins and wants to go faster.  That's a pain on the
ground.  Another training issue, yes, but Warpaint was a pain while running
at the Castle Rock.

Energy at the end?   Interesting category, another tie.  Warpaint is so
strong at the start it's hard to compare him to anything.  He absolutely
slows down,  ( he'd HAVE to) so I did see a transition from unreal to
moderate at the end.  Shatta is much more consistent- he feels strong the
whole time.  At the Castle Rock ride Warpaint was dragging Judy around after
the finish- it looked like he had not even gone.   I have to give the
Multi-day category to the Appy if for the fact he is a proven multi-day
horse, having completed many consecutive days in a row.  (I could tell it
was he and Judy at day four of Death Valley another time when I heard them
coming in the dark- he was jigging on the paved road that led to the finish)
Shatta has not fared as well in multi-days, though for reasons other than
energy.

Total miles?  Warpaint has something like 2600 since 1991, Shatta about 1200
since 1996.

Okay- the results are in.

Category                Warpaint        Shatta          Draw

Trailering              X
Camping / eating                X
Ride morning                            X
Electrolytes            X
On the way to the start                 X
The start                               X
Riding comfort (overall)        X
        Walk                            X
        Trot            X
        Canter                          X
Sensitivity             X
Technical trails                                X
Opening gates           X
Energy at the end                                               X
Multidays               X
Recoveries                              X
Vet check manners                       X
Power                   X
Running downhill                                X
Spooking                X
Top Speed                                               X
                        -----           -----           -----
                        10              9               2

Hmmm-  The Appy beats the Arab?  Maybe numerically here, but in truth I
still prefer riding my boy.   I think his disposition is the deciding factor
for me.  It's neat to feel Warpaint's power, but I really enjoy the relaxed
attitude Shatta has during the rides.  I think it's quite obvious that
Shatta is hands down the more competitive horse, if nothing else than being
able to gain many minutes per ride on recoveries.  He has been in the top
ten a few times now with ease.  But he's an Arab.  The thing to remember is
that Warpaint does this sport against all odds.  There have not been many
Appys around that can take on the Arabs and do well.  Judy once came in top
ten at a local 50 mile ride (with a lot of horses).  As she did her post
ride vet check a woman walked up to her and congratulated her on her finish.
"I've been doing this a while," she said, "and I don't ever remember being
passed by an Appy like that.  I mean, he really passed me."    Robert
Ribley, another Appy rider, summarized Warpaint the best of all when he
said:  "You know, I like my Ap, but he's just not as go'ey as yours."

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-