1999 Pony Express Ride <story~long>

This ride began with a little different beginning (and ending) than most
multiday rides do (for most people).  Most normal people would be content
to just go ride 250 miles in 5 days.  But not me.  Nope, I had this crazy
idea that since I couldn't possibly miss the NASTR ride, in Palomino Valley
(north of Reno) that I would just sorta do it on the way to the XP. No
problem, right?  (and most don't end up in the ER, though I know I'm only
one of four from this ride who did end up there)

The NASTR ride had a good turnout.  It was well attended and the club did a
great job of putting on the ride this year.  It was a fairly warm day and I
wasn't used to the heat.  I rode Weaver and he seemed to handle it quite
well, in spite of still having a heavy winter coat.  We had a good ride,
finishing in 3rd place.  I let him rest a couple of hours then hauled both
horses to Nikki's place in Fallon where we were to stay the night on our
way to Fort Schellbourne and the XP ride.  Nikki helped place my boyz in a
nice big corral, hauled water in for them and we got them fed and taken
care of.  I was just realizing how sick I was from the heat of the day and
by the time we got to the restaurant I was...well....let's just say it
wasn't pretty and I'm not sure if Nikki will want to be seen in public with
me again <i was soooo embarrassed>. What a way to start out a long trip.

Was up and on our way early the next morning.  Feeling a lot better,
managed to keep breakfast down and headed off towards the other end of the
state of Nevada.  I had not realized how many mountain passes there were to
haul over.  Nevada is anything but flat.  I normally have a 400+ mile range
with my truck but on this day that was not the case.  I arrived in Ely and
promptly put 34.4 gallons of diesel into my 34 gallon tank <sigh of
relief>.  Drove the remaining 35 miles or so to the ridecamp location and
pulled in.  Immediately saw Jim Mitchell who saved me a spot.....right next
to the showers (yes, we had HOT showers every day!) and water - THANX
JIM!!! :-)))  It had taken us about 6 1/2 hours to get here from the time
we left Fallon, including gassing up, stopping for the horses, etc.  There
are fairgrounds and rest stops along the way that are great places to stop
and give the horses a break, turn them out, stay the night if you need to.

Got all set up, relaxed.  Had a wonderful shade tree to sit in and shoot
the bull.  Lots of riders, camp filled quickly.  Everybody was in a good
mood.  I asked about checking in.  Just got laughed at.  Well, what about
getting a vet card. Again, got laughed at.  Okay.  Well, we do at least
have a ride meeting sometime, right?  Well yeah, probably.  <g>  No need
for numbers either, everybody there knows you by name.....yep that's right
--- all 93 riders on the first day.  :)

We did vet in sometime that evening.  I decided to ride Rocky on M-W-F and
Weaver on Tue-Th.  Becky Glazer had me all but talked into riding Rocky all
5 days, but I didn't change --- came close though!  I have Rocky entered in
Tevis and really want to keep his weight up and felt that 5 days might be
just a tad bit much.  Plus I hauled that other brown horse all that way,
had to git him rid some too, right?

Day 1 was the Indian Creek 50.  (I saved all my maps or else I would not
have remembered squat!).  I had met up with Linda Cowles the day before and
somehow or other I ended up riding with her and Brenda (?) out on the trail
a couple of miles from the start.  Rocky and Gavelin seemed to get along
well together, so we stayed together off and on during the days that I rode
the grey beastie.  We had a great time gabbing going down the trail, and I
think Barney (vet) teased us a couple of times about whether or not we were
'talking enough'.  Sure made the time go by fast, and we were having so
much fun!

The trail was unexpectedly inspiring.  I truly had not expected to have
such a nice trail.  This is definitely one of the nicest multiday trails I
have ever ridden.  It was also a nice surprise to find that the ride was of
moderate difficulty (*not* flat).  The entire trail was very well marked,
the maps were done very well.....obviously ride management knows what they
are doing (I better not say too much, we don't want Duck getting a big head
or anything, right?) <vbg>.

The lunch stop was an oasis.  Beautiful thick green grass, with a creek
flowing thru.  The volunteers had shade tents.  They had sandwiches for us,
several choices to choose from, chips, drinks, water.....and even with that
many horses, no vet lines.  You P&R'd, (gate into hold)  then came back a
1/2 hour or more later to vet.  One hour hold.  The horses really enjoyed
the green grass, and most everybody shares whatever else they brought -
whether it be hay, mash, carrots, etc. with all their neighbors.  (because
of course whatever it was somebody else brought that you didn't, it'll be
what your horse wants, and vice versa).

Lunch each day was exactly 25 miles into the ride.  (just ask the Duck).

hehe

Rocky, having been allowed to go a little faster at his last ride, needed
some serious brain re-adjustment therapy on this first day.  We did do it
my way, much to his dismay.  I made him go at a slow, easy pace.  Finished
somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Took most of the day, it was a very
enjoyable day.

On the second day the map called it the "Fort Schellbourne XP 50".  We hit
the Roostarama stage road, and went up and around El Capitan.  One could
only imagine what it would have been like to actually ride a stagecoach on
some of these trails.  Incredible.  The views, again, were fantastic.  I
love riding in the mountains, and in a forest to boot---what fun.  Weaver
had had a couple of days to recover from doing the NASTR 50 and he was
feeling strong and solid.  I kept a close eye on his HR and recoveries,
making sure he was up to the task of riding in the front of the pack. Even
the front runners were running at a conservative pace so I had no problem
keeping him up near the front.  There were five grey horses in front, and
we were the first 'colored' horse :-).  (except of course for Ruby the mule
who is definitely not grey!)

I had a blond moment and at the lunch stop, took my helmet off and it
disappeared.  Ugh!!!  My out time came and I frantically looked for it
everywhere.  It was nowhere to be found.  Yikes!!  I guess if I have to
ride a horse without a helmet, my choice would be Weaver.  Well, so guess
what he did? <bg>  We're cruising along down the trail, full speed
trot....when out of nowhere......appears......(horse monster!)......a
*water trough*. Eeeeeeeek!!! I had just gotten done telling Pat Murray that
because I felt sooo naked without my helmet that my horse would probably
spook. So guess what.....we came upon this trough around a tree, and Weaver
did an instant 90 degree turn to the right. (several other riders' horses
spooked here too)  I managed to stay on....barely.....trying to remember if
this horse had ever spooked at a trough before (don't think so).  Murphy's
law, eh? I did get the helmet back in the crew stuff that night....boy I
feel uncomfortable without it!

After lunch Dave R's horse lost a shoe, so he and Bev slowed down a
bit.  Two others went ahead as I didn't think Weaver needed to continue at
that pace (esp. me without a helmet, I'm such a wimp). So I ended up in the
middle group with a rider named Kristoff (sp?).  We rode together into the
finish, and since I didn't want to race in I told him to go on ahead and we
finished in 3rd and 4th place.  Even though we were that far up in the
front, it was still around 2 (or ?) p.m. when we finished.

Taking care of two horses each day (for one person) is a lot of work. Each
day I would finish, vet the horse.  Clean up horse, walk both horses. Play
with the dog. Shower.  Eat (if I remembered).  Drink, sleep, get up and do
it over again.  Still, even with all this effort we all put forth to
participate in this wonderful sport, there is still always time to visit
and talk to all of our existing and new friends.  The bar/restaurant served
up bountiful meals each night.  They also had hot fudge sundaes, and as
many riders discovered----since it was a _bar_.....alcohol was served <bg>.
(btw, Linda Cowles makes very good margaritas!!)

Third day I was back on Rocky again.  So another slow day.  Still working
on the brain readjustment lessons.  Coolie Basin.  At the lunch stop I
realized that the chin chain had rubbed him raw <sigh>.  So I put desitin
on it and decided to ride him with the halter the rest of the ride.  Gav
and Rocky had been doing well together before lunch, but afterwards we
slowed down the pace considerably and Rocky just became an absolute
pill.  He was not happy, so eventually I had to leave and go ahead...and
when I did Rocky became much, much better.  He was on a loose rein and
finally listening.  Caught up with the Mitchell's and rode with them for
awhile.  Their horses were all doing well, and both the juniors (Jamie and
Alicia) have improved with their riding skills so much -- they looked so
good trotting on the downhill.....wow.  Again finished somewhere in the
middle.  Each day there were a few less riders.  Even with all these riders
there were no vet lines at the ride - the entire time.  Isn't that great?

Fourth day came awfully fast.  McMaughan Canyon.  Horses all around were
starting to get scratches.  My chestnut never has, and the grey only has
when it's wet.  I figured that since they both live in Nevada that under
normal circumstances they wouldn't.  But just the same I kept them really
clean, and put desitin on Rocky's heels each day. (remembered to stop at
wal-mart on the way and bought 2 tubes of the generic stuff)  Both horses
had easyboots on their front feet the entire time, as did dozens of other
horses.  There were some rocks, but I think that the boots mainly keep the
horses from getting footsore over the course of 5 days.  This day I had
some crew help. :)  Came into the lunch stop, told Weaver not to go
anywhere as he dove into the fresh green grass and headed over to show Jim
where my crew bag was (he had a nice spot set up by his truck complete with
buckets of water, etc.).  So about the time I got as far away as I was
gonna get...Weaver looks around...and zippidy...off he goes down the
trail....he thought the race was still on and boy could he go faster
without me along.  Luckily, Kristoff blocked his path so he turned around
and came back. Barney says that horses are like children and one should not
tell them that they can't do, cuz that will be exactly what they will
do.  (see Sandy, he's NOT perfect!!)

Each day you have to vet your horse again before starting.  This day I
trotted Weaver out and smacked (my hand) right into a parked truck.  Duck
said he wanted to see if I'd mention that on the internet. <hehe>  (do any
of you think he'd stop me from running into the truck though? huh????)

lol

So where am I.  Oh yeah, finishing up day 4.  This time there was a group
of 5 of us that rode together in the front. Again, I was the only one on a
colored horse.  Before we got to the finish line we arranged our finishing
order (should I be giving away secrets like this?)  Pat is the one who
arranged it, and that's how it was....well....was fine with me since they
put me into 3rd place (why argue, huh?).  Bev was to go first since she was
the only one on a five day horse, and Bravo did look really good...nice
horse.  Dave Rabe was second (since he kept us from getting lost, remember
I can't even trot my horse out), and then me, Kristoff and then Pat. Pat
came in the front on another day or two and got B/C two days so I guess she
was feeling generous.  :-)   At the very end the three of us went in
together, Bev, Dave and I (me in the middle).  Weaver was in his rope
halter, as usual, and headed towards camp (and Rocky).....I told him he
better behave himself if he snuck past the other two we'd be in *big
trouble*.  hehe  I managed to keep him a half a nose length back behind
Dave, so we didn't screw up Pat's plans.

Then just like that, the last day of the ride was upon us.  Hard to believe
how fast the time and the miles had gone before us....just melted away as
if in a daze.....what a wonderful week.  (I didn't mention anything about
bugs did I, because there sure weren't any bugs)  ;^)

Saddled up Rocky for the last days ride.  It was kind of sad to be so close
to being over with.  This day we did the Ranger Trail.  They had saved the
best trail for the last day.  We climbed the mountain ahead of us - Rocky
full of enthusiasm and energy.....I had put him in a rope halter with rings
on the sides since I didn't want to rub his chin with the hack...and he was
very well behaved.  Again I had the pleasure of riding with several nice
people - another Pat (from WA) on her stallion, boy can he move thru the
technical stuff -- and Dee (from Sonoma, don't know her last name).  We
(Dee and I) spent most of the last day riding together.  After lunch she
mentioned that we were in 8th and 9th place and how she had never top
tenned before.

Linda Cowles was nice enough to help me out at the lunch stop on this
day.  She was great with Rocky.  He was very much "up" at the lunch check,
and she walked him around while he grazed and took good care of him. She
even had a chair set up for me, with water (just like Jim had the day
before, way kewl). I had a nice roast beef sandwich (btw, all their
sandwiches have nice crisp lettuce) and some punch for lunch.  The day
before we had BBQ'd hot dogs.

Dee and I left the lunch hold together and just got the gate closed when
here come Joan and Ted, hot on our heels.  I get back on Rocky and tell
Dee, come on they won't catch us (dumb thing to say).  As we're flying down
the trail, Rocky sort of starts pawing with his front foot.  I stopped him,
got off and found that his easyboot had popped up over the front of his
foot.  The heel strap was on the back and it was wedged on there tight.  So
I hop off, wrestling with it to no avail. <damn>  Here come Ted and Joan,
zooming right past us.  Luckily, Rocky was very good and behaved
himself.  Dee handed me her knife, I was about to cut it off but then
decided to try prying it off with the hoofpick.  good thing I clip a
hoofpick right onto my saddle.  Finally got it pried off, put everything
back in it's place and off we went. We kept an eye on the horses HR's---we
were going pretty fast up hill but kept them under 160.  Seen passed up Ted
and Joan and kept going.

I knew we had to get out of site ahead of them, or they'd be hot on our
heels the rest of the way into the finish.  Dee didn't mind cantering, so
we put the horses into a really nice canter and flew down the trail for
quite a ways.  Rocky's best gait is a canter :).  Their HR's stayed
low.  We slowed to a trot on the downhill, but maintained a constant
speed.  It was neat to see Dee get her first top ten, and guess
what......they gave us each a POPSICLE at the finish line (thanx
Robbi!!)   It was a great way to end a remarkable week.

The Mitchell family ended up with two of them (April~mom and Jamie, 12 on
JD and Lancelot) completing all five days, and the other two (Jim~dad and
Alicia, 14 on Fire Mt. Smoke and Shiko's Tamaar) completing four days.  Jim
and April can use me as an example for their kids of what *not* to do when
you are finished riding a multiday ride <bg>.

You guys have probably figured out that I'm recovering quite nicely from my
mishap in the corral with the horse on Friday night.  Doc says it should
only be a few weeks before I'm back to normal (normal, he thinks I'm going
to be normal, hahahahaha).  I figure if it takes a normal person a few
weeks to recover that I'll be 100% by the weekend, right?

Each day we climbed anywhere from 4300 to 6400 feet.  These rides tend to
attract more of the well-prepared type of riders and horses who have the
sense to ride within their abilities.  It's nice to see that. :)  Riders
came from all over, several different regions were well represented.  Dave
(aka The Duck), Annie and all their help (including family & Barney and
Linda) did a fantastic job and I would most *definitely* recommend this
ride to anybody.

I believe 37 horses and riders completed all 5 days.  10 of us completed
all 5 days on different horses.  We started with about 93 horses and it
dwindled slowly down to around 63 on the 5th day.  Bev Gray and Bravo were
first overall.  Hugh Vanderford was 2nd overall (and 1st HW, w/ 1 B/C).  I
don't remember a whole lot else of the awards.....I have a bunch of XP pins
now, and a t-shirt.  Jim Mitchell put some XP pictures up
here:  http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/navion/XP%20Pics3.htm  Linda Cowles
will have more to add and hopefully some more pictures too.  :)

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Weaver, 2,880 miles