White Line Disease, Scratches, and Summer(sweet) Itch

angela dobb angela_dobb@email.mobil.com
Hi,
Here's my tuppence worth on the above topics:

White Line Disease: Got rid of with twice daily 'tubbings' of the
two affected hooves in warm water containing Epsom Salts(Magnesium Sulphate)
followed by tipping dilute hydrogen peroxide into the white line,
and then putting magnesium sulphate paste onto a dressing and packing the
 affcted area. Continued this for about 3 weeks, then just hydrogen
peroxide washes for a couple of weeks.  All this time horse wore
easyboots to keep the area 'relatively' clean.  You can then go
blonde with the leftover peroxide.

That was the old horse, new horse gets summer Itch and scratches!!

Summer Itch: So far I am managing to control it with a NAF feed supplement
called 'D'Itch, and rubbing a special Ointment called Camirosa Cream
into the mane and the Dock.  This worked to stop the midges biting
last year, and it is working this year too. You have to wash it
out once a week and reapply.  Down side is it picks up dirt so
my grey horse now has a brown mane and tail.

Scratches: she is prone to this too!  On her 3 'good' legs I have
managed to keep it at bay with the daily application of Keratex mud fever powder.
On the leg I have been cold hosing, due to an injury, it is another story.
She had a band reaching to 3 inches above her fetlock, around the entire
circumference of her leg.  I have got rid of most of this by
washing it every two days in an Iodine solution(pevidine), and then
applying Dermobion ointment, and keratex powder on the normal bits of the leg.
This is good stuff, but it contains prednisilone, so it is banned!
It also contains Nitrofuraone (an anti-microbial that is carcinogenic) and
Neomycin. So always use single use disposable rubber gloves.  This
is not a method of control, only treatment of a bad case!  Prevention
comes in the form of the powder, and baby nappy rash cream.

Angela

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-