The BEAR facts!! (long!)

Have to share:

Rode last Friday night, left the house about 7:00 (I live
next to Gifford Pinchot/Weyerhauser land) and left without
my map, (cuz' I'm so smart and never get lost don't you
know:) Anyway, was planning on getting in about dusk (9:30
or so, about a 12-13 mile ride) I get back into the woods,
(logging roads) and about 9 miles into the ride, the trees
have been clearcut and burned for replanting. All my
landmarks are gone!!! (But I'm so smart, I figure, "why
turn around, just finish your loop and go home!"
Yeah-right!) At one point I hang a left when I should have
gone right and now I am in really unfamiliar territory.
Donte is trying to tell me that we should turn around now,
(he's used to this and it's not his bag-that barn was a
callin')
Well, about 9:30 (and about 6 miles + to get home) the bats
are flying around over my head, I am riding next to a
clear-cut, so visibility is not bad yet, Rham (collie dog)
is trotting out in front. We have seen some bear piles (no
bells so I'm feeling pretty cocky!) As we round a corner,
one of the dark shadows on the side of the road suddenly
whirled around and crashed into the brush. (A little taller
than my 75 lb. collie, and about twice as heavy, I am
thinking 2 yr. old bear here-lets hope Mom is out of the
picture!!) Of course my trusty Lassie dog followed, his
tail a banner over his back, one loud bark of challenge. I
hear nails hit the tree (starting to climb) and then as if
I could see what was going on, I hear the bear change his
mind. (He apparently can tell when a dog does not carry the
family jewels and is no longer fearful.) He starts that low
wuuuuf noise, a little throaty, alot of air, bushes
crashing, and here comes my trusty Lassie dog, tail still
over the back, now looking over his shoulder, (methinks the
bear carries the families jewels!) All this time (about 25
seconds) Donte is holding his breath, standing stock still,
listening......(he is much more spooky when those pesky
grouse fly up from practically underneath you!)

There are going to be alot of bears this year (and future)
as I think you still cannot hunt with bait or dogs around
here. In fact, Rick and I did an 8 or 9 mile loop on Sun.
morning and ran into the largest pile I have ever seen! The
bear that put that "little" marker there was no 2 year
old!!!

Since I grew up around bears, (fishing resort in British
Columbia, Canada) they don't bother me. I think they are
beautiful and I love having them in "my" backyard! It's
those two legged beasts I worry about!!

BTW, it was 10:30 when I rode into the yard, (Rick was not
a happy camper!) completed approx. 18 miles, Donte was a
trooper (as usual) I did take my gun, whistle and first aid
kit, not that I could see any of it *g* When the trees
blocked the light, Donte let the dog go first to "protect"
him!! (Great plan there!!) That was the only time he got a
little spooky, those shadows might be another of the growly
things! My last few hundred yards is a narrow trail, steep,
switchbacks, trees, etc. (Brag here, get ready!) and Donte
usually tries to trot down it, knowing the barn is just
around the corner, but Friday, in the pitch black (held my
arm across my face, cuz' I couldn't see branches) he went
so slow and took such good care of us. Never strayed from
the trail (I don't think!!) and got us both home in two
big, hungry and tired pieces!!!

Heidi (whew, that was long, sorry!)
===
                   /\_/\~