Ridecamp - posting guidelines

I have a request to make for Ridecamp subscribers.

If you are having a problem with the list, such
as multiple posts, not receiving messages,etc,
please don't post your problem to the list - if it's
something that's driving you crazy, send your
questions to me (list master). This sort of stuff
is 'noise' on the list, and adds to the volume without
contributing to discussions. I'm usually paying
attention and can fix problems right away, so sometimes
you just need to be patient.

Ridecamp is VERY active, and we all just need to take
care to keep the posts pertinent to distance riding
issues.

Some taboos:

1. 'me too!'
2. Off topic or HOT topic discussions (e.g. religion, politics, helmets :)
3. 'I'm getting multiple posts - I'm not getting any posts - get
me off this *#@% list or I'll report you to the FCC' - send these
problems directly to me (steph@endurance.net), not to the list.

These are not absolute rules - some of this stuff is ok - just
guidelines, things to consider.

Just remember - Ridecamp has over 1000 subscribers, and it's important
to keep the noise level down.

I'm posting Angie's Ridecamp Oath again, in case anybody
hasn't read it yet. It pretty much sums it up:
                Ridecamp Oath

             by Angie McGhee

I promise not to sound far more intelligent in print than I
am in person, thus leading people to think my advice is
worth far more than it is.

I promise to address the original question posted, not turn
it around to fit some campaign I'm on.

I promise to delete "Ridecamp" from the address box when
I post, "me too" to the sender.

I promise to avoid bringing up "too hot to hold" topics like,
"Is 25 miles endurance?" "Should AERC charge families
more?" and "Are weight divisions fair?" Under penalty of
death.

I promise to make a permanent copy of Susan E.
Garlinghouse's recommendations on feeding beet pulp and
save that woman's fingers from typing it all out for every
individual member on the list.

I promise not to add everyone else to my dirty joke list.

I promise not to talk condescendingly to another
ridecamper as if I am the authority on all matters, since
obviously the "authorities on all matters" prefer to lurk,
and by posting in the first place I am admitting my
ignorance.

I promise that if Julie Suhr ever "de-lurks" I will admit
that "The Master Has Spoken" and she is the final
authority.

If a new subscriber asks a question which has been
re-hashed 100 times, someone experienced post to
ridecamp: "I'll take this one" and answer them.

If someone asks if a particular saddle, breed, body type,
etc. is appropriate, I will not tell them,"Yes! That's what I
use" and then forget to tell them I've just joined this list
and never really ridden farther than 10 miles.

I will be free with my praise. I will send a "good one" note
to those who deserve it.

I promise to always question all authority...and advice. I
will think for myself.

I will share knowledge.

I will not attack others who share knowledge which I
consider "misinformation" I will simply inform them of my
personal experiences in the matter.

I will ride my horse often to keep my panties from
becoming wadded.

If Steph requests that we not discuss a matter, I will not
simply post why I believe it IS appropriate, and continue
to discuss it. I will be a good guest at STEPH'S site and
honor her request.

I will not comment on the running of AERC unless I am an
AERC member.

I will not leave an entire previous post on my "reply"
simply to reply to one line. I will delete all but the
pertinent material.

When and if I am ready to un-subscribe, I will NOT send a
note to ridecamp trying to do it. I will READ the
directions.