Re: RC: Spooky Stuff

> Never thought of large backpacks ... hmm ... Oh, and canteens
> were a fun one!  "What the heck is sloshing on my side?!"

Large straw hats for gardening wear, especially with large floppy bows
tied under the chin are really good too.  Those get Lakota every time.
<BG> Put on a bright yellow rain poncho, with the hood over your head, and
try to catch him in his pasture!  That one took me nearly an hour the
first time. :)  Colored beach balls rolling around are good, and
brightly-colored megaphones (have someone pick it up and talk into it, so
you get the full audio-visual effect).

As part of Lakota's continuing education, I've recently begun putting him
to graze in a small area, with me standing nearby, with his halter on and
a 12' long marine rope (soft & silky) attached.  I wad the rope up and
toss it on the ground near his feet, so as he grazes, it follows him
around, snakes in and out of his legs, he steps on it and over it, etc.
He's getting much more mindful of watching for it, quicker in his
had already worked with him on the rope around his legs, etc., and he's
always been good about stopping dead when he gets a foot caught in vines,
but I figure this extra rope-on-the-ground practice will sharpen him up
even more.  Yesterday he had managed to get the rope into a double S-curve
with a foot in each section and then stepped on the front of it -- he
stoped, looked underneath him at the rope, and carefully backed over it,
watching where he put each foot down so as not to step on another section
of the rope.  It was quite a sight, and made me realize that he is really
learning something with this rope dragging around his feet like that. Of
course I'm always right there, just in case something goes wrong.

I'm interested in any other tricks like that folks have, with things that
are readily at hand.  I like having ground exercises to work on when
he's resting from a ride or recuperating from an injury (or when I'm
recuperating from an injury), things that don't require special equipment
or surroundings (no round pen or arena available to me).

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region