OD from Brenda-----LONG

Brenda Baird kbbaird@rev.net
It's good to see so many happy people after a trip to the Old Dominion.  My personal hat is most off to Duane Barnett.  The only thing I can say, Duane, is that the first 2 or 3 hundreds kill you, but they get better after that.  Nina, I thought everyone knew RALPH, the guy who drives the BUICK, and his friend EARL, who worship at the Church of the Porcelain God.  Must be a Southern thing.  And by the way, I don't like the 10 minute penalty, either, for the reasons you gave plus a few others.  Jerry, don't get Kevin's blood up or he won't buy you any cookies and lemonade next year!  He's typically not too competitive, but you never know, . . .  As for Tevis vs. OD, I have 6 OD 100 completions and 1 and 85/100's Tevis.  I personally (this is just my personal opinion, now) have not found the Tevis as difficult as the OD--probably because there is no humidity and the footing is much better.  Last year, the OD advertised the following in the Tevis' newsletter:  "We've sent our best west.  Now it's time to bring your beast east."  If you go through the completion lists, you will find tons of OD members on the Tevis rolls, but very few Tevis names on the OD lists.  I think the OD will stand by it's invitation--come on out east, folks.  Get a first hand report from your man on the spot, Doyle Patrick, who I think really did have a good time--who wouldn't after being squired around by the venerable Dr. Mackay-Smith.  Plus, talk to Jamie Kerr, DVM!  He was at the OD last year and was head vet this year.  Both Doyle and Jamie say they're coming to ride next year, and we can hold them to it, because we WILL find a horse if we have to!

I want to thank all the folks along the way this year--the volunteers, the crews, the vets, the observers--everyone I saw had a smile on their face and was lending a helping hand.  It was really great and encouraging.  Thanks to Susan K. (aka Blue Flame) for helping me figure out what arm my watch belongs on!  So much for higher education!

Thanks, again, Shabazzy Flagstaf, for your OD 100 #4 and my number six.

Brenda

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-