Re: RC: Re: Preventing scratches

Glenda makes a good point about the source of the wetness that contributes to
the scratches.  Kadance has 3 white legs which are very prone to getting
fungus type scabs.  One winter I did clip some of the hair below the back of
her fetlock, which helped.  She would seem to get the fungus the worst in the
winter, probably because winters are muddy here.
A local trail organization newsletter had a great trick several yrs ago that
I found worked the best on Kadance's fungus (not sure if it's the same thing
as scratches).  It recommended putting Betadine on the fungus scabs.  I found
that putting the Betadine in a little spray bottle worked great; would just
spray the Betadine on every 2-3 days on the scabs, and within a week they
would dry up and fall off.
I would occasionally try Desitin as I always heard it was supposed to work,
but it just made the fungus scabs mushy & bigger.
Maybe the vets can answer --- are there different causes for the scabs and
irritations that the horses get on their lower legs that would require
different treatments?  What I call a fungus on Kadance would only occur on
the white legs.  The one solid leg would not get it, and Tempo, who has 4
solid legs, does not get what I've been calling fungus scabs (the vet did
diagnose it as a fungus on Kadance yrs ago).  It's a sort of white/yellow
scab, not like a darker scab that covers a healing wound.  (Hope no one is
munching their lunch, reading this appetizing post!)

Nancy
Md (past lunchtime)