Bowed Tendon

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net

Alotta years back I had a 1/2 Arab that bowed a (front) tendon (another
horse ran him thru a board fence) and it was worse than
what I'd call a slight bow.  This bowed from the back of
the knee right down to the fetlock and the the horse was head bobbin
lame. This was before the days of ultrasound, etc.
He was cold water hosed every day for 10 days, then allowed to dry, and wrapped
in polo wrapps (no vet wrap in those days either).
He was wrapped for about 6 weeks. (We used cloth diapers in those days
under the polo wrap if the wrap started to chaffe)

I think age and condition of the horse (along with severity of the injury)
have alot to do with recovery times.  This horse was 8 and he was fit.

He had 12 weeks off. The first 3 weeks in a small paddock
(until he was about grade 2 lame) then let into a pasture
(alone) which was attached to his stall for the remaining
9 weeks. ( He was never confined to a stall, but I remember
him spending alot of time in there during the day).

I didn't start re-conditioning him till he was sound for a week
at the walk and trot in hand.
I re-started him like he was an un-conditioned horse.

He healed and went on to be a fine polo horse (played until
he was 19, and then was a school horse for his remaining years)
and was never lame on that leg.

He didn't heal without a blemish though... if you ran your
hand down his leg, you could feel a knot about half way down
the tendon about the size of a marble.

Good luck.
Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-