RE: White Line

STRONGLY recommend using something on the white line disease that has been
formulated specificly to treat it. I have had quite a lot of experience with
that $(##(()_$% crud in Hawaii (very common problem over there) and highly
recommend the SBS products for treatment of WLD or at least Merthiolate
(difficult to locate anymore). A local friend here also eliminated a chronic
case of WLD by treating the foot with strong bleach soaks (only the lower
part of the hoof!) a couple times a week. He used a shallow feed tub with an
inch of strong solution in the tub. He coated the horses heels and hairline
with vaseline for protection then stood his Saddlebred in the tub for 5-10
min. Cleared up a case that had been going on for over a year and had
traveled a couple of inches up one toe. He didn't pull the shoes. Haven't
personally had to go shoeless with horse.

Originally I used Merthiolate to treat WLD. It was found in lab tests to
effectively work on WLD and it will actually move upward into the white line
(just as the WLD does) so it goes into the foot rather than sitting on the
surface only. Iodine, when painted on the white line just crystalizes at the
surface and just seals over the WLD allowing it to continue to spread and
grow underneath. I believe that the SBS products do have Merthiolate in
them.Merthiolate seems to have been taken off the public shelves now. SBS
has a gel product that can be put on the white line area after the farrier
has cleaned out the affected, crumbly tissue then the shoes are replaced.  I
daily  use an old dental pick to clean out the debris that wedges under the
inner edge of the shoes before squirting in the liquid SBS. Daily at first
then a couple times a week. Your farrier is correct to remove the diseased
areas. Keeping the feet dry also really helps. That can be tough to do of
course.  The TB I had in Hawaii was put on a good hoof supplement by the way
and his hoof growth accelerated significantly. He grew a healthy and
stronger foot downward in about 8-9 months, faster than his old growth had
been. The new growth was disease free and held nails better than the old
hoof had.  Hope I gave you some ideas to think about.

Bonnie Snodgrass
Southern Maryland