Re: RC: Subject: RC: Randy's Worst Nightmare

In a message dated 6/15/99 8:02:56 AM, rides2far@juno.com writes:

<<> LD 5 Mile National Champion.  To that end, my family and I
>have>put in a tremendous amount of time in laying out the >world's
most>challenging 5 mile trail....

Hmm, Randy.  You may be onto something!  If my calculations are correct,
the maximum time allowed for the championship LD 5 miler would 36
minutes, which should mean the "winners" will do it in about 1/2 that or
18 minutes.  That means we could have a ride breakfast, run the race,
then have our coffee with the awards.  I've got 2 ponies...this gives me
something to shoot for.>>

Double hmmm, Randy and Angie.  This is very thought provoking.  First,  I do
not think the now not inconsiderable preparations that have gone into the 5
mile championship LD ride should go to waste.  God bless Carol Dee (or at
least that's what I always hear the other riders say at Randy's rides).
Second, there is error in your ways, Angie, or rather in your calculations.
Under AERC rules, at 4.66 mph, the 5 mile ride should have a maximum time
allowance of 64 minutes.  Since the proven minimum speed for Remington and me
(at any distance) is 4.67 mph and the proven maximum speed for us (at any
distance) is 5.34 mph, we should be able to finish in about an hour.  That
would allow people to eat breakfast, run the ride, and then have their coffee
get cold while waiting for us to finally show up.  Since we have been the
cause for many a cold dinner for ride managers and ride vets, this would only
be fitting.

Randy, limit the 5 mile LD championship to horses already qualified for the
100 mile ride so you don't have to run any more qualifying rides at this late
date.  And hold the 5 mile ride right after the 100 miler is over so you
don't have to schedule another date.  Remington and I will just keep on going
while the other horses are rudely awakened from their post race slumber and
disentangled from their vet wrap.  I've always wanted to win an LD ride.  Now
I know what we have been training for all these long miles (and  hours).

John Parke
Solvang CA