Re: RC: Boz type shapeable foam bars/panels?

Hi!
	This is also in response to Jack Weaver's query re Boz saddles.  In my
opinion, Boz has done a lot of things right and when problems with how his
saddles fit, or don't fit come to his attention, he comes up with
solutions.  But...there is no saddle, even Boz' that fits every horse.  I
have 2 Boz saddles and 3 horses including one that is hard to fit.  For
about a year I thought my Boz saddle fit that horse just fine, especially
after Boz made special foam pads to accomodate his high withers.  But as he
shed out his winter coat this spring what should I find but large white
patches in the middle of his back.  Diana Thompson (Whole Horse Journal)
told me that she has treated horses with very sore backs caused by the
metal stirrup leather holder and that is just the shape and place of the
white hairs my horse has.  Also, because of his high withers, the breast
collar was the only thing keeping the saddle in place and on several
occasions his chest was hamburger from the pressure.  I tried riding
without a breast collar, letting the saddle slide back behind the withers
but then the pommel hit his withers.
	So far, the saddles continue to work well on my other 2 horses that have
lower withers and no pockets behind them.   But...I don't ride those horses
as much as I ride the one the saddle failed on.  The conclusion I have come
to is that the tree is designed  to fit broad backed horses (it's
equivalent, I would guess, to a QH bars western tree) with level backs and
moderate withers.  Boz' explanation of how this tree fits horses with
different backs is that the foam pads fill in the spaces, and also can be
sanded to exactly fit the shape of the horse's back.  My sense is that this
might work if the tree was a pretty good fit to begin with but the more
foam that gets removed, the less padding there is left - and remember those
wicked stirrup bars that are right under the rider's bum! (And, in order to
do the sanding you have to forego the sheepskin covering on the foam and
put the foam directly on your horse's back or use some sort of light
blanket.) Also, after you've done all the powdering and fitting and sanding
to get the foam just right, all it's fitting is the back of a standing
horse that probably has his back dropped, not raised; and there has been no
accounting for the weight of the rider and the pressure that puts on the
saddle and horse's back.   And, the foam is only good for a certain number
of miles then you have to buy new pads and start all over again.
	Before you conclude that I am completely against Boz saddles, let me
assure you that that isn't the case.  I think Boz' is one of the most
creative thinkers about saddle fit around today.  I think he has put some
very good features in his saddles but they still don't fit all horses.  By
the way, Skito makes a pad arrangement designed to replace Boz' foam.  I
tried that too.  Skito foam does a good job absorbing lumps, bumps and
stirrup bars but it couldn't keep the saddle in place to relieve the
pressure on the breast collar and didn't provide enough clearance for his
withers.
	Teresa: Boz' tree and foam are designed to work together.  His tree is
essentially a bare tree.   The foam is the equivalent of the padding that
in all other saddles is attached permanently to the tree.  You can
certainly experiment with various foams to create your own shims and saddle
pads.
	Hope this helps!
Laney