Re: RC: Re: Old Dominion 50-we did it! (long!)

Another OD 50 story ... This was my fourth OD 50.  Last yr I pulled Tempo
because he was off from having cut the front of his leg crossing the
Shenendoah.  (2 stitches).
Friday night as Kim, my intrepid pit crew, and I settled down in Kim's pop-up
camper, we were serenaded to sleep by what we thought was belly dancing music
up on the hill at the 4H center.  It was a live band that got more & more
discordant as the night progressed.  When the partiers started singing along
with the out -of-tune band, Kim & I couldn't restrain our giggles. It must
have been really loud as we must have been a half mile away from the actual
site of the party (about as far away as you could camp, fortunately!), and we
could hear it just fine!
This yr I just wanted to finish and not pull.  Tempo is a stallion, so my
absolute first priority was ensuring he behaved as he wasn't going to have a
buddy as he often does.  He must have read my mind, as he walked calmly in
the warmup ring Sat am, which was crowded with 60 something horses trotting
around.  He was  pretty relaxed on the start, letting some horses pass on the
road, and accepting my lateral cues to get on the shoulder.  When we hit the
first mountain climb, we were behind a bunch of riders --- not my game plan.
I decided to pass before the trail got even narrower, and the other riders
politely pulled to the side & we passed uneventfully.  Near the top as it got
steep we walked, crossed the skyline drive & down the wide trail to Limeton.
I had been nervous that Tempo would try to go too fast down the mountain, but
he kept up a brisk, but controlled trot, nice & relaxed.  I rode with 2 gals
on geldings on the flat area to McCoy's, & yes, the Shenendoah in the mist
was worth getting up for at 4:30 am.  The river was really shallow this yr as
we hadn't had rain in almost a month, and the water was lukewarm.  I was
really careful to stay just downstream from the floating milk containers so
as to not steer Tempo into a rocky hole again.
Fortunately, Kim & I had gone out Fri nite & set up my stuff at McCoy's, so
with the ice water, Tempo came right down.  Vetted in all A's, and I had a
chance to guzzle some SlimFast.  Gave him a tube of electrolytes, he didn't
want the grain, but was happy to graze.  Didn't drink.
Set out on the second leg thru a nice wide wooded trail that usually is a
little muddy & deep, but was nice fast footing with the drought.  Got to a
road & just as Tempo spied a group of horses up ahead I spied a 100 gallon
rubbermaid water tank like the one I use at home at the side of the road.  I
pulled Tempo over & much to my surprise he guzzled the water, keeping an eye
on the departing horses, but drinking.  We didn't catch the horses, but about
2/3's of the way up Veach's Gap we caught Jeff Crandall leading his gelding.
I felt guilty for being such an out of shape slob for riding poor Tempo, but
my stomach was a wee bit queesy, so I drank some gatorade & made age excuses
for myself as Tempo stepped thru the ever larger rocks/boulders on the ever
narrower trail.  The view was really clear this yr, the Shenendoah snaking
thru the green valley below.  Jeff was really disgusting because he could not
only walk up the mountain, but carry on a conversation as well!!!  About
halfway down the backside of Veach's gap, the trail becomes a less steep
road, so the horses seemed happy to trot & canter down into Fitchett's.  Kim
was waiting & organized as usual & Tempo came right down, all A's except for
guts (B), which I excused as he hadn't had a chance to eat with his fast
recovery.  As he was being so good, I took the bit out so he could really eat
as it was our longest hold (40 min), which he really did, chowing down
carrots, grain, & hay.
Soon enough it was time to attack Sherman's Gap.  Down a gravel road past
quaint, well-kept 19th century farms (I always wonder what stories those
walls could tell about the fighting that ravaged the Shenendoah Valley during
the Civil War).  We trotted and cantered as I knew it would be slow going on
the mountain.  Jeff caught me as we started up the mountain, and shortly a
couple of riders galloped past us.  We were of like mind to let the horses
walk up the ascent.  Jeff's horse was 7 & this was his first 50, after doing
a few 25 LD's.  Tempo is just 6 so I wanted to save gas for the end.  Jeff
once again made me clearly see my athletic limitations by getting off &
running uphill & still make conversation.  Going down the backside, it really
got steep, narrow & large boulders, more like steps than a trail, so I got
off, I can at least handle walking downhill.  As I told Kim, it must have
been an amusing sight to see a pudgy middleaged mother trying to keep up with
Jeff, but I knew he knew the trail & I had missed this section having pulled
the yr before, & I didn't care to get lost.  Just after we remounted (Jeff
kindly waited while I hauled myself back into the saddle), we caught up &
passed several riders, and when the trail widened & the descent was about 35
degrees instead of about 50 degrees, Jeff started to really boogey.  I tried
to keep Tempo in a collected canter so he didn't get too downhill, and
navigated around any rocks that might trip him up --- I had no desire to be
flung head first down the trail!  At the bottom, Jeff said, "Now that's how
to come down off a mountain!"  One I won't forget!  Hit the road & then
fields and the nice wooded trail back to McCoy's.  Tempo really opened up,
seeming to enjoy the rockless footing.  Kim met me at the timer's with the
ice cooler, Tempo wasn't that high so we just took him outside the gate &
threw some ice water on with Doris Kulp's help (thank you Doris!), and went
on in.  I think he had all A's, except maybe guts again --- I was getting a
little blurry by then.  A short stop for him to grab some grain, electrolyte
him, and back out on trail.  Kim was psyched as were about 5th or so going
out.  Across the river again, this time we were back in the 20th century as
canoes were floating downstream towards us.  Fortunately the lead canoe
stopped on a sand bar to let us get across --- wasn't sure how Tempo would
react to a canoe!
Jeff caught me and another rider on the other side & we trotted thru Limeton,
the residents on their front porches to watch the "race" & offer us beer  ---
"maybe later" we said.  Thru the woods, up & down, and down to a gravel farm
road.  Jeff and the other gal riding ahead of me exhibited excellent seats
when some cattle at the side of the road spooked, spooking their horses.
Into Liberty Hall, more ice water (Mary Coleman helping out ---thanks Mary!),
got a grade 1 on LF, and found a small stone in the heel of the LF when we
returned to our little space.  I think Tempo was getting a little foot sore
as he was avoiding the gravel on the roads by getting on the shoulder.  On
the way back up the last mountain climb, he seemed even on his trot, &
elected to pick up his left canter lead.  Two gals galloped past me up the
mountain, but I wanted to walk the steep parts --- we did have pulse to meet
at the end!  We jogged the less steep parts, ambled our way up to Skyline
drive and down the last hill to the road.  Then I think Tempo knew where he
was, and trotted thru the woods & cantered to the finish.
Done!!
50 miles was just enough for me and Tempo, I am in awe of the 100 milers.  We
had enough rocks & climbs!!
The trail was well marked, the pit stops well organized, the weather & views
just perfect.  Hats off to Jeff on his BC on his horse's first 50!  Nice guys
do finish BC!

Nancy & Tempo (happy to roll in the dust & just lounge, thank you!)
Md