Ready for a 50?

Mary Eaton meaton@towner.ndak.net
I'm planning on doing my horse's first 50 June 26 and am looking
for some input from riders more experienced than myself. My horse
is an 8 year old Thoroughbred that was ridden very seldom until
last summer. I started out with lots of walking and progressed
along and he finisihed the year with a 25 mile LD ride that he
finished in 3 hours over very easy terrain.

This year we have done 2 25 mile LD rides ( 2 weeks apart) over
 more difficult terrain and he has finished them in a around 3.5
hours in excellent shape.  He met criteria almost immediately and
received all A s.  He's quite a handful at the beginning of the
ride and stays strong throughout.

My feeling is that it would be better for him physically and
mentally to do slow 50s rather than fast 25s. What do you
think?

Mary Eaton   Towner, ND

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-