Fwd: RC: 5 year olds doing 100's

In a message dated 6/13/99 4:13:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time, DabneyEsq@cs.com
writes:
Why do we feel we have to take a young horse and MAKE it do a 100 mile
endurance ride?  I know it is because the ouwner/rider doesn't want to wait
until bones and aditude are mature.  they want to get out with friends and
compete and ?show? off their great horse.  How long is that young horse going
to last?  It is the same as "mare in foal" Yes, horses of all ages have to
run in the wild, the difference is, they don't do a 100 miles at one time,
they don't have a rider on their back, or shoes on their feet, or all the
other stuff we make our "partners" wear.
There are so many horses out there that are for sell, if you feel you really
need to ride.  Let's take care of our horses and give them a good life!!!
<< his question is aimed particularly at Heidi (and any other endurance vets
 who may be lurking). Some well respected endurance folks say that taking a
 5-year old on a 100 miler will damage him later in his career--even if he is
 ready, and it is done slowly, with an experienced rider who knows how to
pace
 (in other words, assuming everything else is in place) and even if he seem
 fine at the time.
 H >>

---- Begin included message ----
This question is aimed particularly at Heidi (and any other endurance vets
who may be lurking). Some well respected endurance folks say that taking a
5-year old on a 100 miler will damage him later in his career--even if he is
ready, and it is done slowly, with an experienced rider who knows how to pace
(in other words, assuming everything else is in place) and even if he seem
fine at the time.
Have you come across any basis for this opinion (even anecdotal?)  Is this
your opinion?  I think your response would be of interest to many on ridecamp.
Thanks!
Dabney Finch

---- End included message ----