NASTR Ride(long)

After all our complaining about a cool spring, Mr. Sun, much warmer temps
and some humidity (rare for Nevada) got together to greet the NASTR 25, 50
& 75 ride (the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown) on Saturday.  Brawo and I were
entered in the 75 but after our 'big wreak' 2 weeks ago, decided to drop
back to the 50.  There were over 100 riders I believe, with the bluk of
them being in the 75.  The trails were well marked and in general, very
good footing.  The first loop had some climbs (steep) and some loose rock
but nothing to awful.  Ride management was very generous with water - there
was lots and for that all of us were grateful!  My only concern was that
there was no vet check on the first loop (30 miles) however there was a
trot by about 10 miles from camp.  That put a lot more responsibility on
the rider (not a bad thing) and there was a vet available at 20 miles if
you were having problems.  What that meant to me was that we spent a little
bit more time at a couple water places for R&R and I carried feed with me,
lots of carrots, apples and a couple baggies of grain.  Also there was some
grass along the way.  Brawo is getting really good at snaking that head
around to share an apple with me!

The 2nd loop had a long, gradual but with some steep to it climb.  We did
that whole thing by ourselves with no horses in front or in back. That's
the only time on the whole ride I would have prefered some company.  Think
Brawo would have as well.  Just makes the top look so much better!  Shortly
after that Ride Managment provided at great water stop and then it was 8
miles of great trail with all down hill to the finish.  What a gas riding
that.  Brawo knew he was going home and it was really a fun way to finish a
nice ride.

Our goal for this ride (now that we were in the 50) was to maintain a
steady average 7 to 8 MPH pace.  We did that with no problem.  My HRM went
ka-put on the first loop.  I became pretty conservative but the horse was
feeling great, traveling well so we continued on our pace slowing down to
walk the last mile or so  into the vet check.  He came in at 58 so guess we
were ok. Thought I had the HRM working after lunch but it was not to be so
I just said to heck with it.  I've ridden lots of miles without one of
those things so we just kept doing what we had been doing.  He trotted on
in to the finish, we walked the block or so to camp (me off of him with
loose girth) and he was at 60 at the gate and 46 at the p/r with tack off
and after a big long drink.  Wonder if I ride smarter without that dang
thing?<g>

We were the last 50 miler to leave camp and finished 18th out of 38.  I'd
started him pretty close to the front at the last ride so wanted to vary
him around.  This horse could start at the very front now and be fine.
He's really matured this year and is coming on great.  I'm so proud of him.
 He hit is stride and held steady as a rock.  Broke it up with a gallop now
and then, never frets over leaving the other horses and gets a clint in his
eye when he sees someone up front.  I feel very confident that both of us
are 100% back to normal.

Hope to see some of you at a Nevada ride - how about the VC 100?

Sharon
West Region