Trails are in Trouble: Federal Funding Low

>News Alert:  forwarded from the American Hiking Society.
>
>Please act now: write that letter, make that phone call, spread the
>word.  If I can trouble you to also fax a copy of your letter to me at
>(520) 632-1147, it will give us an idea of the response across the
>country.
>
>Thanks,
>Pam Gluck, Executive Director
>American Trails
>P.O. Box 11046
>Prescott, AZ 86304
>(520) 632-1140
>fax (520) 632-1147
>e-mail: AmTrails@lankaster.com
>http://www.outdoorlink.com/amtrails

>	American Hiking Society's	May 1999
>	Capitol Trails Broadcast for AHS Affiliates and Partners
>No. 26
>
>Trails in Trouble; Federal Funding Low
>   The federal budget for trails looks pretty dismal this year. Congress
>is threatening to cut funding dramatically. In the House of
>Representatives, where all money bills start, the allocation for the
>Interior Appropriations Subcommittee for Fiscal Year 2000 is almost 20
>percent less than what was authorized last year. The problem is that the
>Balanced Budget Agreement, signed two years ago, put very tight caps on
>discretionary spending, including federal trails, National Parks and
>National Forests. The full Appropriations Committee, then, under the
>Agreement, allocated less money for the Interior Appropriations
>Subcommittee to parcel out among the parks and forests than in past
>years.
>   American Hiking needs your help to let Congress know that trails and
>parks and forests are important and should receive the funding they
>need. Please contact the leaders of the House and Senate Interior
>Appropriations Subcommittees, plus your own Representatives and Senators
>(addresses below) by mid-June and ask them to fully fund trails by
>appropriating the following:
>National Park Service:
>*	Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance program: $12 million
>*	National Trails System (includes national scenic and historic
>trails): $6.8 million.
>USDA Forest Service:
>*	Trails Construction/ Reconstruction: $30 million
>*	Trails Maintenance: $35 million
>*	National Trails System (includes national scenic and historic
>trails): $3.5 million.
>Bureau of Land Management:
>*	Recreation Management: $71 million
>*	National Trails System (includes national scenic and historic
>trails): $2 million.
>Land and Water Conservation Fund:
>*	Fully fund the state and federal sides of LWCF at $900 million,
>including money to acquire:
>*	Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail:  $5 million (California
>parcel)
>*	Florida National Scenic Trail: $1.5 million (Florida)
>*	Ice Age National Scenic Trail: $2 million (Wisconsin)
>*	North Country National Scenic Trail: $2 million (Michigan,
> [...]
Nancy DuPont, Executive Director
Heritage Trails
1350 Castle Rock Road
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Our Mission: To preserve and protect trails and answer the question, "Where
are you going to ride your horses, and where are you going to keep them."
Telephone (925)937-7661 FAX (925) 943-7431