Being a Mom AND an Endurance Rider

A while back several of us mom types were having a discussion (trying to
rationalize our passion for endurance riding) about balancing kids, work and
riding.  Tonight, I had a kind of epiphany (sp?) that I thought the other
moms and dads out there would appreciate.  My son was skateboarding with his
best friend and had a medium sized wreck -- big raspberry on his knee.  He
limped in for triage and treatment.  I calmly (for me)  got out the first aid
kit and then remembered that I had "borrowed" the antibiotic ointment for the
HORSE TRAILER FIRST AID KIT (eeeek)!!!  Since my son, Graham, was busy
admiring the major bloody boo-boo, I figured he wouldn't notice if I jogged
on out to the trailer to retrieve the ointment.  Wrong!  He AND his friend
noticed (I didn't have the heart to tell them where the thermometer is at the
moment!).  Graham rolled his eyes at me and patted my back (this is the same
kid who abhorrs the idea that I wash his jockeys in the same machine that I
happen to do a little horse laundry in).  After a little doctoring he and his
buddy were out on the front porch, popsicles in hand.  I admit, I evesdropped
a little bit.  Turns out they were trying to decide whose mom was
crazier...the friend's or me.  The other mom in question plays polo and runs
triathalons (in MY book, she wins).  A pretty lively debate was going on.  My
son:  "Well, MY mom once threw up all over Harca".  Friend:  "That's
nothing....MY mom once threw up all over herself!" (I think the other mom won
this one).  My son:  "I have to crew for my mom every summer at the Tevis --
100 degree heat AND really boring".  Friend:  "Have you been to a triathalon?
-- I'd rather go to the dentist".  (she won that one too, I think).  THEN the
friend said:  "Since my mom had the baby, we don't have to go to all those
boring polo matches and triathalons".  My son, Graham, came in later and
started asking if WE were going to have another baby, by any chance.  I told
him, no, that wasn't likely.  He said "Good, I think I'd rather crew Tevis".
Thought the rest of you parents/endurance riders out there would appreciate
this one!

Sylvia