Hot mare and slow 50

liz elizabeth.bridgers@gte.net
After two 25's and one 30 I did my first 50 at Mt. Adams last weekend. We finished in 10 hours and great shape which was my goal. Vet told me at finish she could 75 easily. I received several comments through out the day on good she looked. Question; she is a very hot mare and I held her back the whole ride. Should I have let her go a bit faster? I am a newbie and being cautious, keep hearing about the long slow base you need before asking for speed. She is very fit and has great recoveries, she settles into her flying trot at heart rate of 112. But we did not do much of that on this ride. Am I using the right approach with her? She is capable of more but should I ask this soon in the game? Opinions appreciated! thanks!

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-