Re: RC: We're All Learning As We Go

In a message dated 6/8/99 12:07:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tobytrot@bigfoot.com writes:

<<   "Perfecting" your performance at LD (if you mean
 placing higher) in fact creates a sprinter not a stayer, and HINDERS the
 horse's ability to learn to do longer rides.  >>

Well, I'm about to put that into practice.  My 'seasoned' endurance horse,
Harca, apparently whacked his right rear superficial tendon on something and
was off at the last ride.  After an ultrasound we found a 35% tear in that
tendon and he will require 6 months off before he's ready to return to what
he loves.  It will be, I'm sure, very hard on both of us.  He was perfectly
ready to go for his 6th completion of the Tevis (out of 7 attempts) I am, as
you all would be, heartbroken.  I miss my buddy. (after only three days of
lay-off!).  A couple of things I'd like to share that I learned along the way
(20/20 being hind-sight).  Barney Fleming noticed that Harca "looked funny"
at check-in at Mt. Laguna (an awesome ride, by the way) Friday afternoon.  I
thought that he was seeing a horse who had been trailered 5 hours and needed
to pee.  I took him away, warmed him up, and let him pee.  Brought him back
-- he was ok.  Honestly, I could tell in Barney's eyes that he still had some
reservations.  I wish I'd paid attention.  13 miles into the ride, I felt a
kind of funny hitch in Harca's stride.  I  KNEW he was off.  Tailed/walked
him into the next vetcheck (approx. 7 miles) and pulled him.  Barney was
there and asked if he could see.  Yup, same symptoms he'd been skeptical of.
Neither Barney, nor I could predict the future, just wish I'd gone with my
gut (and Barney's) in the first place and not ridden Harca that weekend.  My
vet, however, said that it probably didn't worsen the condition (could it be
he didn't want a hysterical female crying all over him?). Sooooo, here we are
on a 6 month unasked for vacation with the new guy (Star) on deck.  We'll see
how he does.  I love this sport and all the people involved and, right now, I
really miss my horse.  See you all on the trail!

Sylvia