shank length - how to measure?

Sharon Settles settl002@mc.duke.edu
Hi:
With all the good discussion going on about bits, I have one question.
Where do you measure the shank length from?  The distance from where the headstall/bridle
attaches to where the reins attach OR the distance from where the bit sits in the mouth
to where the reins attach?  In the Jeffers catalog it makes a distinction
between the shank and cheek.  Yet in other catalogs, they only give
the shank length (do they mean cheek length?).  It is recommended that I use a 3-5 inch shanked
curb on my mare, but when I look in the catalogs it seems that 6 inch
shank lengths are the most popular in all the different styles. When the catalogs
report shank length do they really mean cheek length and not the
distance from the mouthpiece to where the reins attach (which is
what I consider the shank length)?  I know this sounds confusing because
I am confused.  Please help.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-