Re: RC: Bitless Bridles

>Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 13:09:48 -0700
>To: ruthb@tdsi.net
>From: Jasmine Cave <toppere@siu.edu>
>Subject: Re: RC:  Bitless Bridles
>
>Mandy-
>It sounds like you are definatly on the right track since mandy is getting
all slobbery and developing a top line and because of this it sounds like
you made an great bit choice. If she is really heavy you could switch to a
thinner mouthpiece in the same bit to encourage her to carry herself
instead of leaning.Just stay with the same bit brand and all.Also if she is
pushy don't be afraid to push back, just lighten when she does.Instead of
turn on the forehand try turn on the haunches. A turn on the forehand
encourages the horse to get heavy on the forhand and to move the haunches
in a circle. You want to shift the weight to the haunches and move the
forehand. The turn on the haunches will take a bit longer to teach your
horse since she will try to keep her weight on the forehand which will be
impossible to do in this movement. If her neck comes out low from her
shoulder she will want to carry her head low. It is possible to raise her
head but it will take time. Also when you feel that you are loosing her
back end you could stop and back her up. As long as you keep her front end
in frame, you will need a bit of leg, she will bring her hinquarters under
her in a few steps.I don't think you are asking to much, just maybe to
soon. Keep trying. Another really good thing to do is long rein (like
lunging, you stand in center and horse goes around you). Go to the hardware
store and buy 50 ft. of a heavy rope(5/8) and a couple of snaps. Tie the
snaps to each end and you have a great set of long reins at a fraction of
the price you could but them at. Take a piece of bailing twine and tie your
stirrups together under her belly. Run one end through the stirrup and to
her bit. Put the other end over the saddle than through the stirrup on that
side and to the bit. For the first time it can be helpful if someone hold
your horse. Get the reins in your hand the way you would if you were riding
and right before you ask her to move push the rein off you saddle and
behind your horse. She may get spoked by the rope on her back legs and try
to run. This is O.K. just talk to her untill she quiets and keep her
moving. Because you have nice heavy, round braid long reins unlike the
light weight web that is sold, you can drop the lines if needed without
fear of tangling mandy in them. When she quiets just pick them up as she
goes around and begin to take contact. Most horses don't freak out like
that, but some do. All of the horses I have seen really like it once they
adjust. This is a great tool to get your horse to bend, the line behind the
legs prevent the horse from getting her legs behind her. The inside rein
will be used to ask her to flex. This is also good for horses that fall
into the center on ordinary lunge lines because you can use the outside
rein to keep them out. It is a great thing to know how to do.
>Dustee-
>I would continue to use the bit you have but add more ring work and I
would definatly long rein this horse to encourage him to use the ring of
muscles(streaching and flexing of the neck which causes the back to raise
which affects his abdominal muscles, they will contract and lift, and he
will bring his legs under himself). If you still need a bit more control
>you could try a kimberwick that is double jointed, but you would have curb
control only. Or you could go with a mullen or double jointed pelham then
you could use the snaffle rein except when he tries to pick up the pace
than use the curb rein. The curb would also encourage flexion.