serious sudden problem, ideas?

A recent arrival has developed a very sudden problem, and although I *think*
I can guess the cause, it still makes me wonder. This is a 12 year old tb
gelding, never been raced, and delivered *sound* about two-three weeks ago.
He has been ridden at least every other day, lightly, but longed first for
observation, and there have been absolutely no signs of tenderness of lameness.
Today I went out to say hi, and his back feet are swollen {one hugely so}
from the fetlock down, and there is copious clear, slightly yellow {very
slightly} and slightly bloody drainage...on the worst leg it is emanating
from all around the coronet band and some of the outside hoof has just
disappeared {white showing}. On the not-so-bad leg, there are odd red
{bloody}fleshy protrusions that just peel right off the back between the
fetlock and heel {closer to the fetlock}, with the same drainage. The leg
that doesn't look as bad appears to bother him more. It's really very nasty
looking. Also, there seems to be a small hole that is draining ABOVE the
fetlock on one rear. There is no front hoof involvement at all.

Now, what I do not understand is that as of two days ago {yesterday he was
not worked, but was observed trotting about seemingly ok}, this horse was
being observed under saddle {very light rider} and on a longe with
absolutely not a hint of being off. Now this, and he is clearly sore. I am
thinking that it appears to be some very serious abscesses {the bottom of
the hoof appears to have been pushed out some, and there is some heat}, but
am not 100% sure...he's gotten a healthy dose of penicillin and will see the
vet tomorrow. But the altogether suddenness has really caused me some
concern - I do not like having to deal with these things once they reach a
serious level - best to take care of it while it's still in the early
stages...but this sure didn't have any early stages that I could catch!

His feed is simple bermuda grass hay and his grain has been slowly weaned
from what he had before he moved to what I use here, both mixes are 12%
protein, the one he was weaned off of was a 'complete' type feed, whereas
now he is on a grain mix...the weaning was done over a period of the time he
got here until just under a week ago. He does not have free choice pasture
and I really don't believe this is founder.

I'm telling you - I'm sticking to arabians - since picking up other breeds I
have had more trouble with legs just this year than with all the other years
of just arabs {with the occasional mustang}...this has been rather discouraging!

Any info or ideas about what this may be would sure be appreciated. I'm sure
the vet will help, but sometimes they don't do so well and it's nice to have
other horse people's input. Thanks...

~Shere