Re: horse insurance recommendations

Hi, Liz,

I ran through this awhile back.  There should be some information in the
archives.

After careful consideration, I went with Markel for Apache's insurance.
www.horseinsurance.com
They were quite helpful.  I did everything by fax and had Apache covered
within 24 hours of making my decision to go with them.  I paid $350 for
mortality and major medical/surgical coverage.  That refunds what I paid for
him if he dies in an accident and provides $10,000 worth of coverage for the
other.  I'm not sure of exact numbers because I don't have my policy in
front of me.

One reason I went with Markel instead of another company was the fact that
they do not require a vet health certificate before granting coverage.  I
found similar policies from smaller companies for around $275, but by the
time I paid for a health certificate and the farm call, I would have paid
around $350 anyway.

Another reason is that I like dealing with "technologically literate"
companies.  This company had a decent website and was willing to fax
information over to me.  I guess I was impressed overall.

Beware, if your horse is getting "aged," around 16, most insurance companies
won't cover major medical/surgical.  My horse is 14 and in a year and a half
will be ineligible for major medical/surgical.  That annoys me.  Mortality
runs out around 19 or 20 depending on the company you choose.

If anybody knows of a company that will cover major medical/surgical for 16+
year old horses, I'd love to hear about it.

April & Apache (insured because SHE'S paranoid!)
Chattanooga, TN