Re: RC: How to get the weight off

Kristi;

The first thing I would recommend is that you have your vet out to do a
thyroid test.  My pasture ornament (preferred over potato) came into this
ride season severely overweight.

Phoenix is 15.1 and weighs 1,175 lbs.  After taking away his grain,
increasing his exercise and making sure he only got 4 flakes of hay per day
and still seeing no weight loss, I was at the point of seeing if he could
survive on air.  But taking the sensible route, I decided to call my vet for
diet advice.  When I explained the steps that I had taken, she suggested
doing a thyroid test.  Sure enough, his results came back with severely low
counts.

We have just put him on medication, Thyro-L.  We will retest him in one week
to see if his levels have improved and adjust the medication accordingly.

In the meantime, I am to continue with the conditioning I've been doing and
the long pleasure trail rides.  When the weight starts coming off, I can
increase his conditioning rides.

What I've been using as a rule of thumb is that I trot for 5 - 10 minutes
depending on terrain.  Then I walk until his breathing has returned to
normal.  I then repeat the process and we do this every other night.  I also
make sure that once a week, I take him on a long pleasure trail ride; 5 - 6
hours.  There is a lot of walking involved in this, some trotting and little
cantering, plus an hour rest.  It gives him plenty of exercise without
overexerting him.

No matter how heavy your horse is, you must be concerned with their major
muscle, the heart.  As we all know, a horse has a huge heart and will give
way beyond their means to please us.  It will take time and patience, but you
will get the weight off.  In the meantime, think of what a superbly
conditioned horse you will have.  Nothing beats long slow miles!!!

Even if your horse turns out not to have a thyroid problem, you need to start
slowly with the exercise and increase it as the weight comes off.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Diane & Phoenix (grass, I want more grass -- NO riding)