Re: RC: Molasses fingers?

Rides 2 Far wrote:

> >First, get him to relax with your fingers in his mouth. I always have
> >my>hands (clean hands - so they don't taste gross!) in my horses
> mouths,>and start it with babies. Molasses fingers may help them accept
> it
>
> Is this a horse who has had electrolytes shot into his mouth recently?
> Kaboot quit relaxing when I fooled with his mouth a long time ago.  He
> just pins his ears, nostrils, eyes and braces for the salt.  I can't
> imagine wanting to teach any horse that my fingers tasted like molasses.

The idea is to get them to not object strenuously!!! **NOT** to
encourage their arabian carnivorous tendencies! (Ever heard the "the
sheiks fed them meat" story/rumor??!)

I'm suggesting a few drops on the fingers so that the taste will
distract them. And, there is no rule that says "Absolutely Must Use
Molasses" - use anything they don't mind the taste of (apple? carrot?).

I'm persistent and to the point, so I do a gum massage around their
front teeth (most like it) and eventually work my way around the mouth
and palate, and eventually grab the tongue and work it, until they deal
with all of it. Anyone who has seen me work knows I can be persistent
and methodical if I continue to make progress. Stubborn? Okay, stubborn.

Whatever works for you... different tools for different types! I want my
horses to accept having their mouths messed with. My vets appreciate it,
and <brag alert!!!> I get minimal reactions to electrolytes and wormer,
even when they know it's plain electrolytes and water - yuck!! I even
electrolyte mounted, sometimes, if the water source lets me suck water
into the syringe from the saddle.  Lazy, lazy, lazy...

I do so many tough things - so many things period! - that I work to get
"easy" any time I can! I'm easily bored with nagging and fighting. But
the truth is, I'm as lazy as they come! Training may seem like a pain in
the butt, but I deal with this training stuff intensely for a few
minutes, a few times a week, for a week or two, and it's done. I
reinforce it by being consistently lazy!

  -- Linda (who needs to hang curtains in her trailer - drilling heavy
sheet metal - and replace the water pump for her on demand water heater
/ shower... not write to ridecamp...)

--

  Linda Cowles
  Lion Oaks Ranch