CONTROL & CURTESY: shank bits without a curb strap

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

This is a good discussion:

Putting a shank bit in a horses mouth without a curb
strap (whether it be a straight, port or broken mouth) would be doing the horse a BIG dis-service. The curb strap can also be
too tight or toos loose, and that will affect what happens inside
their mouth also.

As an earlier post mentioned, the curb strap  exerts pressure
on the jaw, but it also helps hold the bit in the proper place.

A curb strap on a loose ring broken mouthed snaffle, doesn't do
anything, except maybe to keep the ring from being pulled thru
the horses mouth if the rider jerks one rein enough.

As I said in my earlier post, the shapes of mouths, tounges, and the roof of the mouth play a big part in what to put (or not put)
into the mouth.

And look at all the choices for the diameter of the mouth pieces...
most people think a big fat (or rubber) mouth piece is mild, but
put that in a horse with a shallow mouth & big tounge and he's
not going to like it.

Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-