Re: RC: Rein attachments - followup

Hi Cindy,

I had a rather unnerving experience with scissor snaps on reins about 2 weeks
ago.  Bought some new reins & a new running martingale.  The reins came with
scissor snaps --- I thought about changing them to a different type of snap
that I've used on my reins for yrs (I call it a spring snap --- the base
swivels, so the rein doesn't get wound up, and one side of the snap has a
spring loaded bar that presses in to get the snap onto the bit, & then the
bar snaps back to close).  I had scissor snaps break yrs ago (not on reins),
so was leery of them.  Should have listened to myself.
Took Tempo out on a slow tack testing ride (fortunately, I followed the
adage, test tack BEFORE the ride).  He put his head down to scratch & the the
scissor snap caught on the ring of the running martingale --- I saw that the
ring had caught on the little lip of the scissor snap & uncaught it &
reminded myself not to let him scratch (should have gone home at that point!)
About 1/2 hr later we crossed a small stream & coming up the other side Tempo
suddenly tensed, raising his head & backed up.  Fortunately we weren't near a
drop off --- I knew something had caught him somewhere.  He kept trying to
back & by the time I managed to hop off, he was sitting on his haunches with
his front legs splayed out like a dog.  The scissor snap had caught on the
running martingale ring again!  When Tempo went to straighten his head out
after lowering it to cross the stream, the martingale stopped him short as
the ring was caught on the scissor snap up near the bit!
Bless that horse for trusting me & not going into a full panic!!  Took off
the scissor snap & just buckled the rein to the bit for the rest of the ride!
 Threw those scissor snaps away & put rubber rein stops on the reins so that
the ends of the reins as they come thru the conway buckle won't catch on the
martingale rings, and changed to the spring snaps I've used for yrs on my old
reins (so that I can convert to a lead line, or get the horse untangled
quickly when I pull another boneheaded stunt!).

Riding without scissor snaps!
Nancy
Md