Re: RC: RC: RE: ENGLISH HACKAMORE

In a message dated 5/31/99 11:46:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sbrown@wamedes.com writes:

<< If you always train alone, this may be more difficult to eradicate and take
 longer...but, IMO, would be well worth any time you would have to spend if
 you have to utilize competitions to do this.  Every time we head out for a
 training ride, we practice for this type of problem.  (There are usually 3
 of us since that's how many horses my trailer hauls -- but not always the
 same 3.  They are, however, usually barn buddies so this is even more of a
 challenge.)  We also, eventually, try to do this training towards the
 beginning of a ride when the horses are still pretty fresh.  >>

Good for you for realizing that you have to "train" (ie: educate) as well as
condition!  IMO, you need to set your horse up for as many of the things he
may encounter at rides as you possibly can in TRAINING so that he is not
thrown for a loop when you actually get to a ride.  Camping out is good.
Doing trot-outs in hand at various spots out in the boonies is good.  Riding
in company is VERY good.  If you have to, join some local riding group (or at
least be friendly enough with them that you can go along on outings) so that
you have an opportunity to ride in groups.  The snail pace may drive you
nuts, but it is an invaluable part of your horse's education.  Expecting your
horse to cope with endurance rides after just conditioning without any real
education is a bit like expecting your junior high student to take on college
exams.

Heidi