RC: RE: ENGLISH HACKAMORE

>Bob Morris wrote:
>
>> John:
>>
>> Please consider the fact that it is not the bit or bridle that stops/slows
>> the horse but the training.
>
>EXCELLENT!!   Thank you so much for saying this.

>Amber

If you always train alone, this may be more difficult to eradicate and take
longer...but, IMO, would be well worth any time you would have to spend if
you have to utilize competitions to do this.  Every time we head out for a
training ride, we practice for this type of problem.  (There are usually 3
of us since that's how many horses my trailer hauls -- but not always the
same 3.  They are, however, usually barn buddies so this is even more of a
challenge.)  We also, eventually, try to do this training towards the
beginning of a ride when the horses are still pretty fresh.

Basically, we just take turns holding one horse back and making them
*stand* -- this is the hardest part which starts with just achieving
resignation (finally) that they have to *Stand Still*...and then
progressing to standing for a couple of minutes or more while the others
walk or trot off down the trail.  (We start with a walk but later progress
to a trot when their panic level at the start subsides a bit. ;-))  Any
aberrant behavior is dealt with soundly at that time...and they are not
allowed to go forward until they have stood still for some period of time.
The other horses continue off until they are waaaaay out of sight and then
wait.  The horse being held is REQUIRED to continue on at a *walk*...no
exceptions (!) until you can totally feel their acceptance of your rules.
If they start to trot, they have to go back to "Stand" and begin the whole
procedure all over again.  They quickly learn that this is NOT what they
had in mind.  This also works well for a horse that wants to trot or jig
(god forbid!  I hate jiggers!!) when they are told to walk.

Remember, however, that these horses have also had fairly extensive "Stand
Still" training at home before we do it out on a training ride -- and we
also start out the newbie to this gradually as to avoid a fight or, worse
yet, injury to the rider.

Recently one of my students was dealing with her *very* frisky gelding when
it was his turn to stand.  All I could hear was "Whoa!  Stand!  STAND!  I
SAID STAND!!!...smack..."AAAAAA (obnoxious game show buzzer noise) DON'T
EVEN THINK ABOUT IT...(horse was starting to pop up in the front)...STAND
STILL, YOU DUMB SH**!!...smack, smack...followed by a brief silence.  The
next thing I heard was "Gooood boyyyy!  Okay, now walk.  I said WALK!
Okay...then STAND!  STAAAAANNNNNDDDD!!!!!!!  Gooood boy...now, how do you
feel about *walking*?"

It was great!  Pretty soon we see the two of them walking up the trail
towards us...an *energetic* walk, but a walk none-the-less...and the
student absolutely beaming with pride at her accomplishments. ;-)  (The
horse was in a Kimberwicke bit with the reins in the top slot and no
martingale...and he has now graduated to using just a side-pull during most
of his time out.)  This student's only 13 and going to be serious
competition some day, so watch for her!  She'll be starting competitions
this summer -- hopefully in July.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm