Bacon grease

I've also used bacon grease on wounds, my dad swears by the stuff.  I've used it on rope burns and cuts down around the hoof.  Most of the time we use it for wire cuts on the backs of their ankles when a horse gets his foot through the fence and hurts himself.  Anybody got any comments on whether this is a good idea or not?   We've never had a negative result with it...
Rachael
Also in Texas