Odd areas of edema after 14 mile ride

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
RE: Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

I'm posting this for a friend, so please reply privately
as it may not be of interest to the entire group.

Horse is a 1 yr. old Morgan Gld., used for 25mile CTRs.
Last Sunday he went on a 14 mile training ride at about 5 mph.
HR was 46 at the end of the ride.

Monday he had a swollen sheath, with edema down the mid-line.
(no swelling in his legs) He also had a few swellings on his
body that looked like bug bites, but the swelling was diffuse
and had an irregular pattern, so we figured bug allergies.
He was stiff in the rear, travelled wide and was grade 1 lame behind.

A call to the vet and he was given 5 mg Azium (dexamethasone)
for the next two days.

Swelling reduced by about 50%, but tonite, he has a swelling
near the last rib, and is stiff behind again and midline swelling
again. His sheath still isn't normal.

It's been cool here for the last few days, and not many bugs.
He has free choice salt, (no extra electrolytes)he's on pasture
and hay and is not over-grained.

The vets coming tomorrow to draw blood (Thyriod and full blood
panel)

Has anyone ever seen a condition like this?

Thanks,
Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-