Re: horsing around

Hi, Deb,

  Everybody has an opinion about how to treat a wound.  I realize that
you're a new owner, but short of calling the vet, you should ask your
friends the reasons for what they think you should do (bandage or no).
Maybe describe the wound and the treatments here on ridecamp to get some
other opinions.  Talk to other friends.  Do you have a trustworthy farrier?
My farrier will answer questions without charging me (he's not a vet, but I
trust him to tell me what he knows and admit when he doesn't) especially
when he's out at our pasture whether for my horse or another.  Get as many
opinions as possible....Do some research on the web.  Also, some vets will
give you an opinion over the phone without charging you, especially if you
can describe the wound in detail and discuss the treatment you've already
started.  Talking to others and getting their opinions will also give you
some logic to discuss with your vet.  However, if you're really at a loss
and you just don't know who's right, you might be better off having the vet
out if that's the only way to do it.

Ultimately, Rajah is your horse and you have to make the decision on his
treatment.  Even when the vet tells you to do something, it's your decision
whether to follow his advice or not.  You should understand that, and then
make sure your friends understand that this is your decision and does not
reflect on them as friends.  Harder to do than to type, I know!  But you
should make your decision and stick by it until you make another decision.
Please let your friends know that you value their advice, but that the
actions of taking off or putting on the bandages or medicine is your
responsibility.  I sure hope the second friend didn't remove the bandage
without permission.  That's a whole different issue!

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck,
April & Apache (the "A" team)
Chattanooga, TN