Purple Passion

Many thanks to Pam Haynes and all of her helpers.
The Puple Passion ride was wonderful - rolling sagebrush
foothills of southern Idaho, excellent footing, well marked
trail, well organized. One snafu when one of the vets had to
go out to treat a tied up horse and the vet line got
pretty backed up. But other than that it was just
right. It was cold but sunny - breezy on the ridge
tops, and a few blustery clouds blowing through, but
really perfect riding. The ride times were pretty fast -
I'm not sure who won the 50 but the winning time was
4:45. Roxi Anderson won the 75 in 7:30 riding one of
Bob and Arlene Morris's homebred mares. I had a fun
ride on Khruschev - 8 hr ride time, and he felt great.
Plenty fast for him this early in the year. We've been
battling snow, wind and rain here in northern Idaho
all spring (not to mention "the White Supremacists that
hide in the bushes, the tourists that clog the roads in
the summer and other minor troublesome things" - thanks
Bob!) - so conditioning has been a real challenge.

There was a big archery meet going on a few ridges
over - we had to ride through the camp a couple times.
500+ archers, plus fake game (target) animals scattered
all over the area. We didn't have any problems riding
through-  everybody was friendly and talkative. But
when John rode through on his last loop he got there
just as they launched their moving target - a dummy
elk on a long cable line stretched along the draw.
Poor Squeak (his horse) froze - just like the stuffed
animals all around him. Not your typical endurance
ride experience....

Pam has a great sense of humor - and kept us all
laughing at the ride meeting and awards. All of the
awards were purple (can you imagine?) - and there
was an award for the best dressed purple rider. Pat
Perry won the award - her bay appaloosa (no natural
spots) had blue, red, purple and white spots tastefully
scattered over his rump, and Pat's outfit was a
good match.

We had a good time - thanks Pam!

Steph