Re: Firemountain 50

>The RM for fire mtn has expressed to me his desire or preference for ld
>riders. Why? because these riders are typically finished by noon, he
>does not have to give out weight division awards or first place awards,
>and he can be back home by the late afternoon. He expressed his
>preference for min.numbers of 50's .

     I don't know the RM well but I do know him.  I expect the above was
given with his usual tongue in cheek attitude.  He is the RM for a club
which puts on this ride.  If they didn't want to do the ride they wouldn't.
Even one 50 miler keeps them out there all day.  So I don't believe he
really feels this way.  (And he rides 50's , not LD himself and has for the
years I have been in the sport.)

>on Monday. I have called this RM previously to ask if my entry would be
>accepted on the condition that if weather prohibited my arrival at
>basecamp, the entry dollars would be returned. His reply was not to the
>affirmative.

    The entry form is very clear, full refund up until 1/15 , then  8.00
dinner deducted from refund after that unless you are pulled at the pre ride
check which gets you a full refund.  We had a sick rider 2 years ago the
night before the start of the ride and promptly received a refund minus 8.00
in the mail with no prompting by us.

>Nat.Champ. Ride be well attended. I feel that given this RM's past
>operating procedures and the fact that weather can be unpredictable in
>Jan. Maybe he should not have be chosen to host a qualifying ride.

You have been an endurance rider longer than I have.  But in the 4 years I
have been doing this ride I have not seen a bad attitude problem.

Jim Mitchell
Bakersfield, Ca.