Re: Dressage as cure all

>Sure dressage is not a cure all, but it sure helps.  Just like anything
>though, it can be abused.  But with care, it can teach your horse many
things.
>I don't think people should be steered away from it, but they should know how
>to use it.  Some people get on and pull their horses noses to their chests to
>look collected.  If they read the books, go to lessons, talk with trainers,
>they will find that dressage is useful for all disiplines, including
>endurance.

Let's first consider the definition of "dressage" (from the French word
"dresseur" (sp)) -- It is the centuries old, tried and true method of
systematically training the horse to use his muscles properly, respond to
cues correctly, and progress logically without skipping steps (or going too
fast) and creating giant holes in their basics.  It is essential for all
horses in their development of their muscles, their mind, and their ability
to perform athletic movements correctly.  Good basics will prolong the
usefulness and soundness of any horse in any discipline.  As my former
trainer, James (who was, in my opinion, one of the best, most ethical, and
most gifted horsemen I have yet to meet) said, when I asked him at our
initial meeting what "kind" of riding he taught..."I don't teach any
*specific* kind of riding, I just teach GOOD RIDING!"

That, to me, is the essence of teaching yourself and your horse the
elements of classical basic dressage.  The lessons learned will be
applicable to ANY discipline you may ever want to get involved in with that
horse.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm