Ulcers in Young Horses

I have a colt I plan on using for endurance riding some day.  He will be 8
months old at the end of January.  I had him on what I thought was a
reasonable training program consisting of desensitizing to traffic, motor
bikes, etc.,  basic manners, such a picking up feet, short ponying sessions
(less than 30 minutes), and several short (less than 5 miles round trip)
trailers rides, all with a buddy.  Did our first solo trailer ride this w/e
which went well.   He had learned very quickly and appeared to be taking it
all in stride.

He has had loose stools since I got him at 4 months and has been off and on
probiotics - more off than on.  Since the loose stools persisted I called the
vet and he believes he may have developed an ulcer.

Other factors: he was weaned at 4 months, had an "upward traveling" leg injury
that went to the bone shortly after weaning,  which required antibiotics and
daily bandaging (healed nicely however).  Required 8 stiches on his face after
the ride to his new home (thrashed inside of the stock trailer) and then had a
case of diarrhea the second week in his new home.  The actual process of
gelding did not go well, but again recovered nicely.  He has free access to
70/30 grass/alfafa and gets 3# grain in the am and 3# grain in the pm plus
vitamins added to the grain.

Has anyone else has any experience with ulcers and young horses?  Or chronic
loose stools?  I thought I was doing the right thing by exposing him to as
much as possible at a young age but suddenly it feels like it has backfired.
The vet suggest no trailering or stressful lessons until next spring plus
probiotics on a daily basis.    I would appreciate any comments/suggestions as
I am feeling rather discouraged.    Thanks.

Susan