Re: TRAINING

>Don't get your hopes up that miles will calm down your horse for an easy
>relaxed start. My wife's mare Champagne now 28 and with over 8,000 miles in
>competition is still hopped up at the start of any ride. After a few miles
>she settles down into the steady state.

Yes...and remember -- you may never get rid of that reaction to the
energies of excitement all around you -- but, with proper training, you can
have a horse that is also obedient and programmed to behave.  I start every
(and I mean *every*) ride at a walk on a loose rein (when they finally
understand that this is THE ONLY way we are starting) and minimal leg
contact.  I use seat and weight cues only (unless I need to correct the
mind-set temporarily <g>) -- save your legs and hands for later.  My horses
usually have plenty of energy when they start so they don't need any leg.
Learn to use your seat bones independently and your torso and arm positions
to create your bends, and the amount of weight in your stirrup to loosen up
laterally.  You talk about LSD training!!  This is it! ;-)  During exciting
times, you may need to take up contact and get their attention to remind
them that YOU are still in control and they STILL (oh damn <eg>) have to
start out the way they're supposed to.  Once their adrenalin level returns
to "competitive" normal, you will have an awesome ride.  (generally
speaking <g>)

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm