Fwd: Bute, running martingales, calm etc.

I sent this out earlier today and never received it back in my mail box so I
am resending it.  Perhaps it will make it this time.  Lovell

---- Begin included message ----
I sometimes wonder why we want "magic solutions" instead of good training.  My
first distance horse back in 1970 was a nut.  Now I can look back and see that
he had a nut for a driver and he actually had a lot more training than I did
and as a result I hadn't a clue for how to double clutch or use the brakes.  I
sort of employed the "seat of the pants" technique.  Most of the time I stayed
on, but my best friend used to delight in watching us come off a really rough
spot.  She said Shamgar looked like a ballet dancer floating through the rocks
and I always had my eyes closed.  Don't ask me why no one was ever hurt but
she (Jacque Jewkes whom some of you may remember) said I wore many a Guardian
Angel out and God took very good care of me.
Now many years later I have figured out that "gimmicks" are no substitute for
good training and thousands of miles or as the cowboys say "lots of WET saddle
blankets."  If my horse will not proceed foreword at what ever gait I wish to
be in company after one or possibly two corrections (my dressage instructor
told me to punish the horse quickly only once then drop the reins to the
buckle and relax)  then I will drop back and ride alone until I achieve the
desired results,  then when I either catch up with someone or they catch up
with me I will ride in company, wherever and in the gait I want, at the speed
I have chosen until either the ride ends or something gets out of order.  I
like to be able to enjoy my ride and I cannot do that if the horse is pulling,
jigging, tailgating or in general being an ass.  I know every horse has to
start somewhere and often or I should say always on the first rides which are
CTR rides I let everyone pass the new horse and I make him stay back, I always
use the open division not the novice for this training.  The obstacles make
him wait his turn and it is good for his mind.  I don't really care how my
horsemanship scores and as long as my horse finishes sound I'm happy.  At my
age I can't do the multi-day rides if my horse is a basket case and "has to be
in front" or "has to pass now."  I always who the pilot of those horses is?  I
also wonder who drives their trucks when they let the horse run the show.  I
do not see how they can be having a good time. I am not a "racer" but I am a
finish in the middle of the pack person as I can't take over about 8 hours on
the trail, my old body complains loudly and I like the way the boys go at a
middle pace.  Perhaps this is why I prefer the quite (perhaps even lazy) type
of horse, I have always been able to wake them up and it's easier than calming
the hot one down.
I know a horse that drowned after getting tangled in a martingale.  As for
feeding him something to "take the edge off" I always want my horse to be very
aware of everything going on around him as sometimes that can avert a tragedy.
Like when they sense the rattle snake before coming in range, or the bear, nut
out target shooting with no good backdrop, strangers lurking along the trail
whatever I don't want to take his natural edge off if I need him to wake up
now I want it now not later and I want him razor sharp. I guess if this means
I spend quite a bit of time alone with him on the trail then I better enjoy
his company as well as be able to trust him.  After all it is less stressful
for both of us.  I hope he considers me his friend as I consider him mine.  As
for the bute I want to know if I screwed up and over rode him or neglected a
subtle change in gait.  As for myself if I had been a safe intelligent rider
when I had a body that was in good shape I wouldn't need the "bute" either.
But when you always rode the horse no one else could you are bound to get it
sooner or later, now my horses are "Granny" broke and quite easy gaited. I
like to think I have become smarter but some think I have gotten soft.  Oh
well.  I like John Lyons saying about keep safety in mind at all times, horses
are bigger than we are.  Lovell
---- End included message ----