re: using carbs

Mia Nalias <arabs2go@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What about people who don't race that use carbos. You know, the folks
> that trot along, get off and walk their horse for that last 200 yds
> before the P&R, so the horse is generally down right away. The mid to
> back half of the pack folks. Still have pulse problems?
> Mia

Just curious why moderate riding (mid-to back of  the pack) would
necessitate the use of carbs? I can understand and appreciate their use for
more competitive riding, and trying to maximize peak performance, however,
for middle-of-the-pack, sensible riding, I would think it's overkill.

I liken it to your average Joe Schmoe, like me, who tries to jog/run 3-4 or
so miles 4 or 5 times a week - now that hardly qualifies me as a distance
runner, and I don't think sucking on a packet of GU is going to provide me
with anything I can't get from a pre-and post-jog orange and/or banana. But
I know plenty of folks who wear all the fancy clothes and have all the gear
- but probably not required - and I think the same is true for the pretty
naturally gifted Arab horse. For moderate / middle of the pack riding of
mid-level distances, provide him with plenty of access to hay and water (and
yes, electrolytes and a little slushy treat of some basic food
stuff/carbohydrate) - and he is going to do just fine. If I can eat an
banana, why would I want to replace it with a potassium pill instead? I
think there's a lot to be said for the basics in riding/feeding, and I my
sense is lots of folks are experimenting/supplementing with a lot of
"high-potential" (for lack of a better description) feed, when the level of
riding probably doesn't require it. Just my opinion, and I am very
interested in the idea of using carbs to increase/maintain performance on my
next horse - I just won't be doing it in the first few years of his
middle-of the pack riding.

I'm wondering if, for bang for your buck, and to satisfy the pro-active urge
most of us have to give our horses the best care and edge possible, if GAGs
and chondroitin sulfates aren't the better "extra" to provide - for
tendon/tissue/cartilage preventative maintenance - rather than
carb-feeding.Yes, possibly comparing apples to oranges - I'm just thinking
the wear and tear on even a middle-of the pack horse is more significant a
factor in overall performance and longevity than feeding carbs. I would be
curious to hear what some of the more experienced folks have to say about
their horses performance and longevity over the years.

Karen C.