AERC Trail Support

Robert Morris wrote:

> I for one will support you in the endeavor for trails.

Thanks, Bob.  I'd hope that ALL AERC members would support trails -
otherwise, no AERC.  I can't see 100 miles on a track or down paved
roadsides.  Ugh!

>Contact Connie Berto,
> Chair of the Trails Committee. Work with her.

Is Connie the main contact person for AERC's efforts?  Anyone else?
Part of my question is "What has already been done?"  Where is AERC in
this program now?  It is counter productive to duplicate efforts.  If
the program is there, are we gettiing the word out?  If it isn't there,
what is in progress?  If there is nothing but a couple of overwhlemed
volunteers, (ie Connie & ?) what do they need to be successful?  Money,
knowledge/resources from professionals in AERC (ie bankers, lawyers,
lobbyists), etc.  Can they assign small, discrete tasks to volunteers.
Many folks will volunteer for a "small project" where they won't simply
jump into the great unknown of "saving national trails".

The Board members on line will hopefully have an idea of these things -
hence my question addressed to the board at large thru an open message.

> submit a petition to the BoD
> showing a major portion of AERC members would rather have trails than
> awards. It is a very simple thing to do (just takes time and money)
>
> Sorry to say I have been working on such for many years and am running out
> of time.

I understand your sentiments...  Time, money, patience, persistence.
They are all in short supply sometimes.  I was part of a group that
successfully opened Military base property to riding in the Norfolk, VA
area.  Sometimes you feel like you are hitting your head against a brick
wall!

Hoping for some informative feedback from board members on ridecamp!

Linda