Re: bute

In a message dated 1/10/99 9:43:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, OasisArab@aol.com
writes:

<< anyone out there with any thoughts on giving bute to a pregnant mare. she
is
 due in May. Hurt front leg some how, she is limping and lower leg is slightly
 swollen
 Bill & De >>

I would be more apt to use Banamine--my concern would be that both the
inflamation and the possibility of endotoxins if there is a bacterial
infection involved could be more risky for the foal than the drug would be.
Bute and Banamine both combat inflamation by fighting release of compounds
called prostaglandins, which are one of the chemical products of inflamation.
In addition, Banamine does combat endotoxins to some degree, which Bute does
not.  With the description of the leg being swollen, I would certainly dig out
her hoof and look for an abcess.  It may not be that at all, but I would sure
rule it out.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)