MORE John Lyons methods

Susan;

If you are really interested in the JL stuff you should consider getting his
book "Communicating With Cues" part 1.  I don't know if part 2 is out yet but
the book covers all the training articles from all the Perfect Horse magazine
issues since the beginning.  It covers in more detail than I can possibly
type all the philosophy and all the methods he uses for training horses.
Don't overlook the importance of ground work (round pen, leading, WESN) to
help teach things that you will be using under saddle.  Even if you don't
think it pertains to saddle work you are getting the horse used to learning a
lesson, being rewarded and generally having a positive relationship with you.

When you say he pivots, is he stopping forward motion and turning (pivoting)
on his front foot?  That would be moving the hindquarters around the front
end which is the same as swinging his hips.  Or is he stopping forward motion
and rolling back on his hindquarters?  It doesn't really matter but as I
learn more JL stuff I have found I need to pay attention to what part of the
horse is actually doing the moving.  You can eventually teach a horse to move
a specific body part with the rein so you have to know if he is swinging his
hips or moving the shoulders, etc.

You can't wait until the horse is in the middle of a spook to regain control.
 If you have taught give to the bit and he is very responsive practice in an
arena or some place you feel safe and there are few distractions.  Make sure
he knows the cue to speed up and slow down within each gait and with
transitions between each gait.  Practice spiraling in and out on a circle.
Be sure you can get a good stop without having to pull back hard on the
reins.  Remember that the reward is the release of pressure on the rein(s).
Get him lighter and lighter.  Then when you go back out on the trail practice
the EXACT same things and don't treat him any differently.  Use the EXACT
same cues in the EXACT same way and expect the EXACT same response.  My JL
certified trainer, Jean Franzmeier, likes to say "The same thing only
different" meaning it may be a different location or with different
distractions but the everything else is the same.  Your focus should remain
the same...is the horse performing what I asked him to do?  If you were
asking the horse to move one step to the right while riding down the trail
and he thinks it's more important to look at something on the left you know
he is blowing off your request.  If you are 100% sure you have taught him
that cue then you can apply enough pressure with the rein (NEVER with a jerk)
to get him to take that step with a nice give to the bit.  Give him jobs to
do as you are out riding, practicing everything you have taught him in an
arena.  Don't let the trail suck the training out of your horse, use the
trail riding to perfect all the moves you taught.  You will have the horse's
attention when you pick up the rein and the horse gives you the attitude of
"Yes, what would you like me to do now?"  It is the GREATEST feeling in the
world.

I went from having a very head strong horse who was always on his own agenda,
with whom I always fought, to a willing, calmer, more responsive horse, whom
I always get to praise.  He still gets excited but I am picking up on his
body language sooner and getting his attention back by giving him something
to do.  It's calming to the horse because I am saying "can you do this small
thing that we've done a hundred times before?" and he gets to say "yes".
That's what I mean by a "yes answer" question.  The horse can get it right
and get a reward (release of pressure) when you've taught it and done 100s of
repetitions.  I'm not changing my cues or my body language or my rewards just
because I'm on the trail or because there is a crowd or a barking dog or
whatever the distraction.  Also, when something does jump out and get him
excited he can calm down quicker because in all our training he has gotten
excited 100s of times and calmed down 100s of times.

JL talks about being an "active" rider vs. a "reactive" rider.  Active means
asking your horse to be doing something on your agenda NOT reacting to
something the horse just did.  Try to be 2 or 3 seconds ahead of your horse
in his thinking.  Pick up on the body language: are the ears pricked forward
intently? can you feel him bunching up ready to explode? is he tense and
stiff?  The best way to determine if you have his attention is to ask for
some simple thing such as rating his speed and see if you get instantaneous
response.  When you get those responses you can head off the "stop and whirl"
kind of spooks.  Safer, calmer and more responsive.  Those are the reasons I
have stuck with and will continue to learn the JL methods.

Melanie in AZ