Re: RC: carrying a crop - lif strand

In a message dated 5/14/99 9:18:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ruprecht@tidepool.com writes:

<<
 Crop carriers often carry the crop in a position that tells other horses
behind or passing that they had best disappear or they will be beaten to
death.  Does the crop carrier realize this and use it as a tactic against
compitition, or are they just dence.

 Maybe we should yell DROP THAT CROP as we approach!

 -------------------- >>

Frankly, that is a good reason to carry a crop at an endurance ride.
Recently at the Malibu ride (which was quite eventful in many ways) my horse,
Harca, was literally rammed from behind on two separate occasions by LDers
coming up from behind -- we were moving at a reasonable pace for the terrain
and the distance we had to travel that day -- but these people had ZERO
control over their horses.  The second horse clipped Harca on his left rear
fetlock joint and actually drew blood -- I was furious.  When the third horse
approached and started to bump us, I reached back and socked him in the nose
(poor horse I would have rather socked the rider, but took what was
available).  They backed off and waited till it was safe to pass.  This was a
single-track trail where one horse fell off 3 times (long story).  Anyway, I
didn't feel safe going 'balls out' on that terrain and was doing a light jog,
fast walk.  I was perfectly willing to yield the trail, but these three
riders (sorry, LDers) had NO control and couldn't wait to pass safely.  I'm
not trying to get the LD thing going again, but in light of your crop
comments being a deterrant to being passed, I'm thinking of carrying a REALLY
BIG CATTLE PROD.  Think that would stop 'em?

Sylvia & Harca (How 'bout I kick 'em?)