PA horse owners rights

Jane L.-  I am curious about your recent message regarding the bill to define the practice of veterinary medicine.  My thought is that you are taking it more literally than is reasonable.

I am in nearby NY state and my husband is a vet.  Until recently I ran an SPCA.  Our interpretation is that "the practice of veterinary medicine" means just that  - doing veterinary medicine for money.  IMHO it does not mean that you can not do what is practical and humane regarding your own animals.  In other words, if I chose to minister to my own pet, and could do that without being inhumane, I could do whatever was in my power, even though the law says I can not PRACTICE veterinary medicine.

Now there are going to be problems in the area of equine dentistry and chiropractors that are not DVM or VMDs, but I think you will find that no one will consider you to be practicing veterinary medicine if you vaccinate your own horses.

I am surprised the farming lobbyists are not all over that bill.  In NY state we can not even get a law passed that requires shelter be provided for dogs tied out, because the farmer's lobby will not allow any regulation of animals for fear it will extend to farm animals (god forbid someone have to provide shelter for an animal).

Food animal farmers are ALWAYS medicating and treating their own animals.....my guess is that they are a bigger group with more widely spread interests than the vets.

Laura Hayes