Tick control

C Eyler wrote:

> Okay, I'm going to try Sarah's idea of putting tick collars on my gelding's
> legs when he's not under saddle.  I know to put them above the fetlock to
> avoid pastern scratches.

I would be extremely cautious about placing a flea or tick collar around
the ankles of a horse. Although they no longer contain diclorvos, a
chemical used in nerve gas, my veterinary sources inform me that they do
contain various insecticides ranging in toxicity up to organophosphates
which can act like nerve gas. Members of that chemical family, such as
Vapona and fenthion, can cause tremors and heart and respiratory
complications in animals and even leukemia and death.

The precautionary statement on a common over-the-counter product
(Vet-Chem) advises the user (human) not to get the dust that coats the
collar in his/her eyes or mouth and if swallowed to call a poison
control center. There is nothing to stop a curious horse at pasture from
biting at or licking the ankle bracelets and ingesting the toxic
substance. In addition, ankle collars would do little to stop ticks from
falling out of trees and landing on the forelock or tailhead unless the
active ingredient is potent enough to work systemically. Most products
contain a warning about using these products on animals that groom
themselves.

For those who prefer a more holistic approach, there is a wonderful
product called Quantum 100% Natural Flea & Tick Repellent (800/348-0398)
as well as many "recipes" for safe, nontoxic alternatives. In addition,
the citronella-based product called "CLAC" was rated by Horse Journal to
outlast all chemically-based fly repellents (I don't know if CLAC is
effective against ticks).

If you are interested in checking out the side effects of approved
products, check out the FDA's internet site of adverse drug reactions in
animals. Go to
www.fda.gov.gov//cvm and click "online library" and then "adverse drug
reactions."

Bobbie and Fine Print in Maryland