RE: Woolback/cordura pad

Title: RE: Woolback/cordura pad

-----Original Message-----
From: Heidi Sowards

Sportack has a Toklat cordura top/woolback bottom pad with
pockets. Has anyone used one of these? <SNIP> Are they harder to
clean, etc?

Heidi,

I haven't actually seen one of these pads, but here's my 2 cents worth.  Cordura is stiff...  If it makes it harder to wad up into the washing machine, I'd be leary of getting it as clean as an all wool back.

Another consideration - cordura has a water proof membrane on the back.  On a hot day, I can actually feel the top surface of my woolback get damp as it wicks away the sweat.  Would the cordura (with it's coating) trap that?  Also, I think it would take longer to dry after washing.

My pads have always matched the outline of my saddle + about 1/2-1".  I've yet to have any rubbing.  My husband did experience some rubbing on his horse with some water bottle holders.  On one bottle holder, he sewed some neoprene on the back.  On the other bottle holder, he placed part of a used woolback pad on the rear.  In both cases, no more rubbing.

If you do get one, let me know how it works out.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV