Re: RC: Colts and Bridle Path Trimming

Susan;

You wrote:
We recently bought a two yr old colt who is very gentle but an AYRAB for
sure. I've been able to do everything I need to from the ground except
trim his mane bridle path. My husband and I tried for an hour with no
success the other night. He does fine with me putting the trimmer on him
anywhere except on his neck topline. Once I get it up there..out of his
view he starts shaking his head like it tickles and walks in circles
around us. What can I do? Any suggestions...Please

I will attempt to give you an overview of what the John Lyons' method would
be to deal with this problem.  First, never start with your goal (your goal
being to clip the horse's bridle path).  Second, teach a cue to tell your
horse to lower his head.  JL uses slight pressure on the poll and the instant
the horse lowers its poll even a tiny bit release the pressure.  It will take
MANY repetitions for the horse to understand that you are using a cue to tell
him to lower his head and you must be very consistent about the release of
pressure whenever he lowers the poll.  Even if the horse takes his head up
initially, keep the pressure the same and when it comes downward (it doesn't
have to come down to where it started but it needs to be in the downward
direction) stop putting pressure on the poll.  When I say pressure I mean
just laying your hand between his ears not pressing or poking.  The motivator
is that the horse would like to get rid of even that light pressure and when
it is removed because he lowers his head, he will figure out what caused it.
Don't change anything if/when he raises his head just stay with him.  If he
can raise his head higher than you can reach then you can use the halter
(regular kind, not anything that puts extra pressure) to be the same kind of
motivator.  You aren't out to punish bad behavior so don't jerk on the lead
or get frustrated in any way.  Just keep repeating the above exercises until
you are sure the horse understands the cue and will keep his head where you
leave it.

Then you can play the lesser than/greater than game.  Start with some object
that is not likely to bother the horse when you put it between his ears such
as a wash cloth.  (Line these objects up on the ground in the vicinity of the
horse as you collect them.)  Then find another object that is greater in
excitibility than the wash cloth but not as exciting as the clippers and put
it in the line-up.  Keep finding objects in this fashion such as lead rope,
plastic bag, paper, anything not sharp or breakable.  Arrange them in order
with the clippers being last.  Bring the first item to the horse (no showing
it to the horse or letting him sniff it; that doesn't convince any horse that
the item is OK; nor trying to sneak something up there) and ask him to lower
head.  Put the item on his poll, rub it around, touch his ears and take it
down. Praise the horse with petting/kind word.  If the horse starts to raise
head, use free hand to give cue to lower head just as he's learned.  Be sure
to approach the horse's head from both front and behind just as you might do
with the clippers eventually.  Keep increasing the intensity of the objects,
taking the time necessary at any one item to be sure that the horse is OK
with it.  That doesn't mean that the horse is not "alert" about what you are
doing, only that he will drop his head and keep it there and allow you to
touch his poll with the object.  (JL says you can't tell the horse NOT to be
afraid but you can teach it what to do when it IS afraid...lower its head.)
You don't need to spend a long time on each object, just enough to convince
you that he is OK and then move to next in line.  The more objects you use
the better the horse will be when you get to the clippers.  There will be at
least one item that is scariest to horse that you will have to work on but
when the horse understands that he can be calm and keep his head lowered, it
is really cool!  Finally, the clippers.  Better if you can use cordless,
quieter clippers but if you have done the game well it won't matter.  Bring
the clippers, turned off, and treat them just as all the previous objects.
Then turn the clippers on away from the horse and approach as before.
Remember to treat them as just another object, using the head down cue in the
same manner.  Lay the clippers along the mane and take away.  Turn off the
clippers and step away.  Turn on the clippers and step back to horse and
touch the clippers to the area you intend to clip.  Each time the horse must
have his head at the height you ask him to leave it (below eye level for me)
using your cue.  Treat each little step as though you were bringing new
object.  Make sure he is OK with each little step before proceeding.  If the
horse has been OK with all the items before the clippers you shouldn't have
ANY trouble with the clippers.

This takes longer to explain (and for me to type!) than it may take you to
do.  But by teaching a cue, breaking it down into little steps and having the
horse gain confidence that it can get the right answer, you will be teaching
your horse more than just how to be clipped.  You have a cue to ask the horse
to lower his head to be bridled and unbridled easily, to not be head shy, to
calm down in scary situation, to accept paste wormer/electrolytes, etc.

Don't get into a fight, don't punish...teach!  If you can think of more steps
to add to the above scenario, do it!  When you start thinking about a lesson
plan and adding steps then you are on the right path.  The more times a horse
can get a "yes" answer to a question you've asked, the better.  Good luck,
stay safe and if you want/need more info let me know.

Melanie in AZ