Shocktamers

Guess alot of people were buying shocktamers at Equine Affaire. I bought 2 set.  One set of 4 for me & another for a friend. We wanted to try them for shock absorbing. Anyway, my question is: Should I just put them on the front or on all fours? I bought four to do this, but now I'm wondering if I should. My friend has hers just on front. They are full pads by the way.Also, they are plastic or whatever, should I use silcone or oakum & they said we could punch holes in the center for air. Is this necessary or advisable? Thanks for your help. Kathy