Re: RC: CarboCharge

In a message dated 4/22/99 3:46:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
equiphile@hotmail.com writes:

<< Just thought I would ask if anyone has had experience with using
 Carbo Charge? I bought a container and the directions say to pre-load
 the horse for 3 days prior to the ride. Now I am wondering if I'll be
 able to stay on my horse prior to the start as this is where I have
 most excess energy problems.

Don't preload with Carbocharge until you've had experience with it feeding 2
oz ever 2 hours on the trail. That may be all you'll ever need.

The glycogen loading protocol was designed for racehorses and it WILL put you
on the back of a mean motor scooter if you're not careful. I think it's time
VF changed the label to differentiate between a racing protocol and an
endurance one. I'll talk to them.

 > Once we take the first trotting step,
 he's under control.  I would like to warm him up a tad.
 I was planning to use it on a 100miler in a week.  My horse and I are
 very experienced at this distance, but I don't want to burn him up
 pre-ride or be in a dangerous situation.  I was just looking for that
 extra edge.
 I heard from a friend who said she accidentally triple dosed her
 horse and he went up some hills on his hind legs and eventually
 pulled a ligament in the rear leg on a recent ride.>

Interesting. Was this a single triple dose or a tripled loading protocol? And
what was the actual dosage used?

> I'm not up for
 that!
 Just curious to see how other people actually use this stuff.  I'm
 not adverse to NOT following the package directions.
 Roberta Harms AERC# 448 >>

The protocol that seems to be working the best in endurance is a 2 oz dose
every two hours during the ride. Some have given 4 oz doses and reported
better responses in some horses. Thus far, those who have done the 3-day
the start but animals which settle down as time goes on, staying comfortable
with 2 oz doses every 2 hours during the ride.

Remember, CarboCharge wasn't designed for the endurance horse--we've just
been experimenting with it. So that label really doesn't apply. The label
refers to the protocol for enabling and maintaining near maximal speed in a
parimutuel racehorse. However, if any of you DO get a mile in 1:33, report to
me immediately and we'll enter the Preakness--too late for the Derby.

Please report back on that triple dose--we need every data point we can get.

ti